Algeciras Nuestra Señora de Europa Chapel
Nuestra Señora de Europa Chapel
The existence of a Christian cult building at this location is prior to the population of Algeciras in the eighteenth century. The original chapel was part of the old farmhouse of Los Galvez.
In 1690 was built an oratorio with the autorization of Cadiz Bishop under the patronage of St. Bernard, patron of the Campo de Gibraltar and Algeciras after. In fact, this will be the main factor to occur here early settlement of exiles, after the loss of Gibraltar.
The old oratorio lasted until 1769, when he was felled by its dilapidated state. Shortly after began the construction of this buildin, still being previously dedicated to San Bernardo, it decided to change the title to Nuestra Señora de Europa, more in lline with the devotion of the new settlers.
The image of Nuestra Señora de Europa that was transferred from Gibraltar in 1704 to this chapel, was returned in 1864, putting in place an exact replica of it.
The 1755 Lisbon earthquake severely damaged the building, rebuilding in 1770 taking the present form. It is a church of a single nave with barrel vault arches in the main body and vaida vault in the presbytery. Its facade is ascencion baroque and consists of two distinct bodies, is made of stone and topped by a belfry.
From 1931 to 1943 was turned into carpentry.