Estepona – Church of Our Lady of the Remedies
Our Lady of Remedios Church – 18th Century – Estepona
The Church of Our Lady of the Remedies is the most important historical monument in Estepona, is located in the center of the town, just few minutes from the Clock Tower, from the Town Hall and from the San Luis Castle.
It was built in the 18th century and basically it was used as a convent by the Franciscan Friars until 1835, when the monks left the building due to the Disentailment Law, becoming later the Parish Church of Los Remedios.
The main façade has a Baroque front made of stone, wich combines Marian, Franciscan and colonial iconographical elements, and which reminds of the Hispano-American façades with Indian ornamentation.
The belfry, composed of four parts, ends in a pyramidal roof with glazed tiles.
The interior is divided into three naves covered by vaults and separated by semicircular arches.
The temmple is a very important place in the traditional Holy Week of Estepona, where the images of the Brotherhoods of Santa Maria de los Remedios, el Cautivo and la Veracruz are venerated.