Fondón – Benecid – Fuente Victoria
Fondón, villa to which belongs Benecid and Fuente Victoria, is located in a beautiful valley that is formed in the foothills of Sierra de Gádor and the Cordillera de Sierra Nevada. The municipality limits with Laujar de Andarax, Abrucena, Dalías, Berja y Almócita.
The town is part of the Region of La Alpujarra, on the upper course of the River Andarax. This location offers an unusual variety of landscapes, from snowy mountain peaks to leafy meadows on the banks of the river. Springs, streams and waterfalls, cliffs, hillsides, viewpoints and paths, that house the wealth and diversity of plant and animal species such as wild boar, Spanish ibex, eagle owl, aromatic plants and herbs, medicinal plants and infusions.
We can be distinguished in their municipality a mountain area and a depression known as Llano de Andarax. In this depression are seated three towns of the municipality: Fondón, Benecid and Fuente Victoria (Cobda, Presidio). Its population still retains the typical structure of the Berber villages.
We do not know many details of its history before the War of the Alpujarras (1568-1570). During the period of Al-Andalus here was the end of the taha of Andarax and began the one of Lúchar. During this period the settlement of Llano de Andarax must be important because in 1568 Fuente Victoria had 100 Moriscos and four old Christians, Fondón had 143 Moors and 7 old Christians and Bencid 60 Moriscos. After the war, the Moors were expelled. The municipality will then almost uninhabited. Then the repopulation starts at the end of 1572 with people from Valdepeñas de Jaén and Salamanca. Throughout the XVII century it will kept the agrarian structure and the type of culture of the Moors.
The urban structure of the population centres will remain intact like in the Moorish era. The accumulation of agricultural and mining revenues will transform during the XVII, XVIII and XIX century that urban structure with new buildings that will shape the current structure.
The mining of iron and lead in the Sierra de Gador was very important and its mining activity is known since ancient times. In the early XIX century it is spoken of lead and munitions factories in the municipality.
Nowadays we can talk about the great available possibilities of these villages with the development of the rural tourism exploiting its landscape and its traditions.
Parish Church. Renaissance style. The tower finished in spire is unique in this region.
Fountain of Carlos IV, 1790. It was built in pink stone finished off the Spanish Monarchy’s coat of arms.
Town Hall. Set up in the building of the old granary.
Palace Rey Chico.
Stately House of Mudejar style.
Fountain Victoria, XVI century. It is an old farmhouse from Codba where Boabdil was imprisoned, last Nasrid king of Granada.
It is typical a fountain from 1710, called Carlos III and El Arco de la Lonja.
Sausages. Choto al ajo cabañil. Cocina mareá. Olla de nabos. Encebollado con hígado de cerdo. Tabirnas colorás (a stew of potatoes with red peppers, onion and garlic).
Sweets: Roscos de Semana Santa. Pebetes de calabaza (balls of pumpkin). Soplillos de huevo y almendra. Rosquillos de vino.
How to get there
You have to exit Almería towards Huércal de Almeria, cross this and continue on Highway 340. Continue heading to Almeria – E-15 – N-340 – Nijar – Murcia. At the roundabout, take the salida 1 and continue along: A-92A in the direction: A-92 – Benahadux – Guadix. Continue along: A-92A, follow signs to Benahadux. Exit Benahadux towards Alhama de Almería, leave this one and turn left: A-348. Pass near Illar and make the alleyway of Canjáyar. Follow signs until you get Fondón.
Distances from Fondón
Beires 9,5 km
Ohanes 18 km
Almería 59 km
Almócita 10 km
Granada 121 km
Albolodúy 43 km
Alhama de Almería 37 km
Láujar de Andarax 3,5 km