Lebrija – Santa Maria de la Oliva Church
Santa Maria de la Oliva Church
Santa Maria de la Oliva Church is located in next to the Hospilatillo Square and Rector Merina Square, next to the Old Cabildo and Cilla Municipal and the Santa Maria la Piedad Hospital, just few minutes from the Medieval Castle, in the Andalusian town of Lebrija.
This monument was built during the second half of the 13th century, in the time of Alfonso X (the Wise). It combines different artistic styles due to the improvements and enlargements made between 1475 and the 18th century. At the base it preserves part of the original Mudejar temple, with a wide variety of vaults supported by horseshoe pointed arches and cruciform pillars. The stone carving work is mainly Renaissance, standing out the transept, the main chapel, the chapel of Vela, and particularly the sacristy, designed by Hernán Ruiz II and carried out by Francisco de Alberto.
As masterpieces of the Baroque style, it is worth pointing out the main altarpiece by Alonso Cano, and “la Giraldilla” (or little Giralda) by Manuel Herrera, which is one of the best versions of La Giralda of Seville.