Ohanes – Sierra Nevada – Alpujarra Region
Ohanes is located to the south of Sierra Nevada, in the region of La Alpujarra, and included in the Natural Park of Sierra Nevada, one of the natural paradise in the community due to their wealth of landscapes, flora, fauna and anthropology.
The town, located on a hillside, like other villages in La Alpujarra, has the characteristics common to these places: white houses with roofs and chimney distributed in narrow and terraced streets; Mudejar church and flowers adorning the balconies.
Around the village, we can observe farmings where it is cultivated and has its origin the famous “Ohanes grape‚ÄĚ, which gives such richness to all the area.
The first traces of human presence in the area are in the Neolithic, in the so-called Cultural de las Cuevas, where we can emphasize the caves of Nieles and Almecena.¬†¬† In Roman times, there were present in the proximity to the Roman road Gador-Abla-Fi√Īana -Guadix.
The first Arabs who arrive Ohanes are the Yemenis, but the Muladis (Hispanic people converted to the Islam), considered them foreigners and rose constantly against them. The Mozarabic linked these struggles, until the year 912, when Abd al-Rahman III assumed the Caliphate of C√≥rdoba, and combat these rebellions. In 913, in Fi√Īana and, crossing Sierra Nevada, through Ohanes or El Puerto de la Ragua, dominates all the castles in La Alpujarra.
Later, after the introduction of the Taifa Kingdoms, the districts from La Alpujarra were called taha, Ohanes belonged to La Taha de Hichar, leading at first, but then it would be Canjayar.
Before La Reconquista las Alpujarras are in charge of El Zagal, Boabdil uncle. On January 2, 1492 the Reconquista ended in favour of the Catholic Monarchs signing the Capitulaciones. In view of the failure of these ones, the Moors of La Alpujarra are raised on several occasions: 1500-1501, 1568-1570 and the most important uprising in 1568-1570, where the Moors are led by Aben Humeya and, later by Aben Ab√≥. They are finally defeated by the Christian army.
By order of Felipe II, the Moors of La Alpujarra are exiled to other parts of Castilla, later 36 families from Guadalajara, Saced√≥n, Zafra, etc. come to Ohanes.
In 1752, the census of Ohanes amounts to 468 people, dedicated to agriculture and textiles.
During the War of Independence (June 1810), the Mayor of Otivar rises, followed by Francisco Moreno “the Black” from Ohanes and other from V√°lor, Berja and Dal√≠as.¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Between 1810-1811 the French troops sacked Ohanes. From the municipal granary provided by the French for their supply, wheat was given to Francisco Moreno‚Äôs guerrilla, for this reason in 1812 the granary was burned by the French.
Parish Church of La Pur√≠sima Concepci√≥n, XVI century. Mudejar style.
Sanctuary Tices. Neoclassical style.
Casa de la Torre, XVI and XVII centuries. Mudejar style.
Square of Juan Crist√≥bal.
Placilla del Altillo. From here you can admire a beautiful view of the town.
Square of Miguel Vizca√≠no. In it you can find the Town Hall.
Arrocillo: Curiously, this food is not cooked with rice. It is a very popular dish based on beans, fennel, chorizo, ribs, pork loin, dry pepper, tomato, onion, garlic and millet flour.
Correas: A real winter stew. The correas are green beans, dried pomegranates, with the sheath. This dish is not suitable for high cholesterol because it has correas, tail, ear, spine and face of pork, spices, potatoes, rice and sausage. It is the dish of Ohanes par excellence.
Tortas de Alfajor: They are made for Christmas. It is made with honey, sugar, toast, toasted almonds and walnuts, water, clove, grated lemon peel, cinnamon and wafer-thin slices.
How to get there
You have to exit Almer√≠a towards Hu√©rcal de Almer√≠a, cross this and continue on Highway 340. Follow towards: Almer√≠a – E-15 – N-340 – Nijar – Murcia. At the roundabout take the salida 1 and continue along: A-92A towards: A-92 – Benahadux – Guadix. Continue along: A-92A, follow the signs to Benahadux, then exit Benahadux. Continue along: A-348. Cross Alhama de Almer√≠a and pass near Illar. Cross Instinci√≥n, alleyway of R√°gol and follow the signs until you gat Ohanes.
To Almer√≠a 48 km
To Abrucena 23 km
To Do√Īa Mar√≠a Oca√Īa 27 km
To L√°ujar de Andarax 21 km
To Alboloduy 31 km
To Alhama de Almer√≠a 25 km
To G√°dor 34 km
To Laroles 47 km
To Ugijar 42 km
Search in Villages
Urbanización Guadalupe Hills (Manilva)
- Alquiler de apartamento con 3 dormitorios
- Alquiler de ático de 2 dormitorios
- Alquiler de ático con 2 dormitorios y solarium
- Alquiler de ático de 2 dormitorios y solarium con vistas al mar
- Alquiler de apartamento en 1ª planta con 2 dormitorios
- Alquiler de apartamento en planta baja con 2 dormitorios
- Alquiler de apartamento con 3 dormitorios en planta baja
- Alquiler de Apartamento de 2 dormitorios en planta baja
- Alquiler de apartamento con 1 dormitorio
- Alquiler de apartamento con 1 dormitorio
- Pisos 2, 3 y 4 Dormitorios a escasos minutos de la Playa de la Rada.(Casco Urbano)
- Piso 4 Dormitorios con capacidad para 6 personas en Avda. Andalucía.(Casco Urbano)
- Piso 4 Dormitorios en Patio Gordillo, a 2 minutos de la Playa de la Rada.(Casco Urbano)
- Piso 3 Dormitorios y capacidad para 5 personas a 2 minutos de la Playa de la Rada.(Casco Urbano)
- Chalet con jardín y piscina privada cerca de la playa.(Estepona-San Pedro)
- Estudio (Estepona-San Pedro)
- Apartamento de 2 Dormitorios en Vista Golf, a 5 minutos de la playa.(Estepona-San Pedro)
- Ático Duplex de 3 Dormitorios en Vista Golf.(Estepona-San Pedro)
- Apartamento de 2 dormitorios en Triángulo de Costalita. (Estepona-San Pedro)
- Apartamento con jardín y dos dormitorios en Costa Galera.(Estepona-Manilva)
- Apartamentos de 2 y 3 Dormitorios en Casares del Sol.(Casares Costa)