Santa Cruz de Marchena
Santa Cruz de Marchena – Medio Andarax Region
The municipality of Santa Cruz de Marchena has 20 km2, it is located on the left bank of the river Nacimiento and belongs to the region of the Medio Andarax. This town borders on Alboloduy, Gérgal, Alsodux and Terque.
In geological terms it is included in the Bética area, to the south, belonging to the complex nevado-filábride and to the basin of the river Nacimiento.
The municipality has a winding and varied relief. Santa Cruz is 328 metres above sea level and to 31 kilometres far from Almería. Because of its hydraulic importance, the river Nacimiento is the most important geographical feature, which has always been known as the River Alboloduy until the second half of the XVIII century, when it changed its name to Nacimiento.
On its banks are the main crops of citrus and fruit trees. The climate is semiarid Mediterranean, characterized by dry summers and low annual rainfall, being these ones irregular and torrential, especially in autumn. The months with more frosts are from November to April, and the annual average temperature between 17 and 21 º C.
Its origin is from the time of Al-Andalus, it was the old Haratalgima or neighbourhood of the mosque, where it was the main mosque and with Bodolu formed the taha of Alboloduy. With the Christian conquest it was one of the first mosques to worship the Christian with the name of Santa Cruz. In the XVI century there was a confusion of terms between two neighbouring Tahas, more specifically with the taha de Marchena, hence the current name of Santa Cruz de Marchena.
In the VIII century it would create a farm with Yemeni soldiers of the tribe Quda. During the Moorish period, from the XIII century, it would belong to the taha of Alboloduy.
With the Christian conquest, the Catholic Monarchs gave the Taha of Alboloduy to Boabdil, in 1493 he was finally to Africa and in 1504 it passed to Don Sancho de Castilla y Enríquez. Sancho de Castilla y Enríquez’s heirs changed the name of Haratalgima to Santa Cruz.
With the Moorish uprising of 1568 and their expulsion from the Kingdom of Granada in 1570, Santa Cruz will be deserted and its fields abandoned. Before the expulsion 40 Moriscos lived in Santa Cruz, and about 166 in their neighbourhoods. The repopulation will be carried in 1573 with people from Western Andalusia, Extremadura and Levant, in a total of 75 to divide between Alboloduy and Santa Cruz.
During the XVII and XVIII centuries it will be a slow demographic recovery. It will get its independence as a municipality in 1850. In the second half of the XIX century and until 1910 it will be a significant population increase due to growing grapes or Ohanes, to be then a gradual loss of population to this days. Nowadays the main crop is the orange, alternative of the grape; the horticulture and fruit trees.
La Canicia (with Mozarabic traces).
Migas. Fennel broth. Peeled wheat porridge. Chard soup. Fry rabbit. Tortilla de collejas.
Sweets: Gurullos. Merengues. Soplillos. Pan dormido. Pan mosto.
How to get there
You have to exit Almería and take the road to Granada. Then cross Huércal de Almería. Continue along: A-92A. Cross Benahadux. Alleyway of Alhabia. Turn right: Carretera de Granada. Then you get Santa Cruz de Marchena.
Illar 10 km
Gádor 15 km
Huécija 17 km
Terque 5,5 km
Almería 31 km
Ohanes 27 km
Canjáyar 23 km
Tabernas 32 km
Alhama de Almería 12 km