Albolote, Vega de Granada
The town of Albolote is located in the Vega of Granada, large space adorned with the green nuances of the strips of black poplars and the really impeccable gardens, having the river Genil as their axis, in its pleasant pass towards the West.
Albolote enjoys as much of its location in these fertile lands as of the proximity of the city of the Alhambra, only 7 kms away.
The history of the municipality is included in the ups and downs suffered by the Vega of Granada in a generic sense. During the Roman period it might have been registered into the network of villae dedicated to the existing land cultivation in the area. During the Muslim period it was occupied by a rural population dedicated to the cultivation of white mulberries trees for silk production
From the 14th century it suffers the constant Christian raids seeking to give end to the Arabic occupation. In 1.490 the systematic destruction of the cultivation starts. The subsequent repopulation of the lands is carried out through the direct sell to Castilian agricultural workers by royal mercy as a reward for services given to the Crown. In the 19th century, and together with cullar Vega, it is a part of the economic boom experienced by the Vega when Juan Lopez Rubio and Juan Creus sow 1.800 marjales (ancient agricultural measure) of sugar beet, and sharing out seed to anyone who wished to cultivate it, revitalizing this way the sugar industry.
The existing human settlements are really ancient in this municipality of Granada, just as the different finds in Albolote reveal. There is notice of the existence of human settlers in the Upper Paleolithic period. In the surroundings of the river Cubillas several roman villas of the 3rd century A.D. have been found. Nevertheless, Albolote was born as a village during the Caliphal period, belonging to the farmhouse of El Tinar to the cora or province of Elvira. In fact, the toponym Albolote comes from the Arabic word “albolut”, which means holm oak. To emphasize in this historical section the narrow relationship between Albolote and the earthquakes. There have been several tremors in Albolote as well as in the nearby municipality of Atarfe, which have spread confusion and chaos among their inhabitants. The last “big” tremor that still remains fresh in the memory of the elders took place on April 19th, 1956, causing some deaths and big damages.
The first written information related to this population that is known belongs to a famous Arabic chronicler who mentions a human settlement in the zone and who considers it to be a Farmhouse (small settlement) belonging to the Cora (administrative district) of Elvira (Granada), having this one a mosque, which indicates the probable existence of a population of certain entity for that period.
The life of the Moslem Albolote was simply the same as the rest of the agricultural villages of the zone, usually prosperous and calm, but not exempt from painful surprises coming from the border Christians, or from any of the great reconquering attacks.
In Albolote’s municipal district a crucial event for the history of Granada took place: the battle of the Higueruela, which marked the culminating point of the reign of Juan II of Castile and of his court favourite, D. Alvaro de Luna. This one, at the head of the Christian troops, went down to Vega through Parapanda’s hillside camping in the zone of Maracena. The battle took place on July 1st, 1431.
The event has an exceptional graphic testimony, a mural in the Hall of the Battles of the Monastery of El Escorial.
Later on Albolote turned into lordship of Don Antonio Alvarez de Bohorquez, the first Marquis of Los Trujillos by order of Felipe IV, in the 17th century. In the year 1802 the king Carlos IV grants the title of Duke of Gor, with First Class Greatness of Spain of to Don Nicolás Mauricio Alvarez de Bohorquez.
Abd Allah, Almoravid governor of Granada, was born in Albolote in the 11th century. He was also the author of the agricultural treatise ” Garden Flower and Pleasure for Intelligences”. Al-Tignari was also born in Albolote, specifically in the farm-house or hamlet located between Albolote and Maracena. He was a servant of the last ziríd king of Granada.
Parochial church of the Incarnation of the Son of God and Anunciación of Our Lady (century XVI, contains a great artistic patrimony).
Archaeological rest of the Arab Tower (next to the square)
White beans salad. Leeks salad. OnionsPuree. Granadina soup. Granadina soup with rice. Soup of chick-peas and wheat. Beans with ham. Green beans to the granadina. Chicken to the granadina. Rabbit to the farmer. Partridges with cabbages.
How to get there
From the North
- CL AUTOVIA BAILEN-MOTRIL I 69,4 CAMPILLO DE ARENAS
- CR N-323 97 IZNALLOZ
- CR N-323 105,5 DEIFONTES
- La Guardia de Jaén, Campillo de Arenas , Campotéjar , Chaparral
- Arrive to Albolote
Distances from Albolote
Nívar 12 km
Atarfe 3 km
Alfacar 11 km
Güevejar 9 km
Peligros 3,5 km
Granada 8,5 km
Chauchina 14 km
Pinos Puente 11 km
Fuente Vaqueros 13 km