Albox, Almanzora River Basin, Almería
Albox municipality is located in the Almanzora river basin in the nort of the Almería province, has a municipal area of 165 square kilometres wit a population of about 10.000 people.
Albox limits with Arboleas, Cantoria, Partaloa, Oria and Taberno. For historical reasons, linguistic, ethnographic and climate, this region appears as a transition zone between the communities of Andalucia and Murcia.
The name al-Boj is Arab, although the populatin of the area goes back to the neolithic.
The presence of the Phoenicians was embodied in the search for minerals, especially silver. Later Roman and Islamic presence is evident by the abundance of archaeological remains found in the area.
In 1436, the largest advance Murcia took by assault the town with his troops and destroyed the castle. After the Christian conquest belonged to the Marquis of Vélez.
He was actively involved during the War of Independence. After the war will bring hunger and banditry.
Theperiod of greatest economic boom experienced during the nineteenth century, thanks to its weaving and potteryy industry of traditional character.
In the early twentieth century, Albox deploy a growing business that will allow for significant economic development. Its weekly market and cattle market will make it the commercial center of the region.
Cerro del Castillo
Santa María Church
The Aljambra Cistern
San Antonio Hermitage
Sanctuary of Our Lady of Good Retreat for the Defenceless
Gurullos, remojón, choto, etc
Albox is accessed via highway 334 from Baza (Granada) or from Murcia and Almería.
Almería 96 km
Cantoria 11 km
Arboleas 9,5 km
Almajalejo 20 km
Huércal-Overa 26 km
Cuevas de Almanzora 36 km