Alcala de Guadaira – San Sebastian Church
San Sebastian Church of Alcala de Guadaira
The San Sebastian Church is located in the town of Alcalá de Guadaíra, on C/ Canalejas y Méndez 1.
Mudejar building with three naves and trough ceilings with side chapels.
The church was very extensively remodeled in the s. XVIII.
It had to be rebuilt after the Civil War, although its original style and structure are maintained.
Its beautiful belfry stands out.
The original church building has been greatly transformed by various interventions. The oldest news dates back to the end of the 15th century, and corresponds to the current preserved layout, of three naves in the late Mudejar style. Various works between the 18th and 19th centuries are documented, in relation to the state of ruin of the building, among other reasons due to the Lisbon earthquake of 1755. After the coup d’état of 1936 and the subsequent popular reaction, the church was set on fire, losing the covers, later restored. Inside, various liturgical objects and images of interest are preserved.
About Alcala de Guadaira
The municipality of Alcalá de Guadaira is located in the southwestern quadrant of the province of Seville, bordering the capital. The original site is located on an elongated hill, surrounded to the south by a steep slope that descends towards the Guadaira river. It is worth noting the existence of a spring on the western slope and several caves. El Gandul, the castle of Marchenilla or the hermitage of Nuestra Señora del Águila form part of the cultural heritage of Alcalá de Guadaira. Read more…