Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Monuments in Málaga

Algatocín – Nuestra Señora del Rosario Parish Church

Monuments in Málaga

Algatocín – Nuestra Señora del Rosario Parish Church

Nuestra Señora del Rosario Parish Church is located in C/ Iglesia (street), in the town of Algatocín.

The church was built at the beginning of the 16th Century, when the building of temples in the conquered lands was ordered after the fall of Ronda in 1485. Since then it has suffered many remodeling works in the 17th and 18th centuries due to the damages caused by the Napoleonic invasion in the 19th century.

The inside is organized into three naves separated by arches. The main nave is covered by a vault and the side naves have a plane ceiling. The main chapel is squared and there are two smaller chapels both sides.

Inside the church we find an image of the saint of the chapel and saint patron of the village, Nuestra Señora del Rosario, as well as a sculpture in polychrome wood of the patron saint of the village, San Francisco de Asís. It is also interesting the silver 18th century lamp decorating the inside.

The most outstanding element in its external architecture is doubtlessly the tower, of square ground  plan and three bodies in height. The bell tower is on the upper third and it has four arches with a bell and a small balcony in each of them. The setting finishes with a dome covered with blue ceramics, one of the most recognizable symbols of the Serrania de Ronda.

Algatocín - Nuestra Señora del Rosario Parish Church

Algatocín - Nuestra Señora del Rosario Parish Church


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment