Algeciras Church of Nuestra Señora de la Palma
Church of Nuestra Señora de la Palma
The Church of Nuestra Señora de la Palma is located in the Plaza Alta (Square), in the Andalusian town of Algeciras.
Conquered of Algeciras, on 28 March 1344 by Alfonso XI, this comand consecrate the building where the Great Mosque was located under the invocation of Santa Maria de la Palma. It is the same year the diocese of Algeciras is created by order of Clement VI, thus being converted ancient mosque in the cathedral church of the city.
It destroyed the city in 1379 by the Arabs, disappeared the old church-cathedral, but with the repopulation on the XVIII century, the construction of a new temple that would be equally dedicated to Nuestra Señora de Palma became necessary.
Work began in 1723, ending 13 years later, although the canonical consecration of the temple was not performed until 1829.
Initially, the church consisted only of three ships. Currently it consists of five ships, plus a cruise and covered with Arab tiles located at different levels.
The central dome of the transept rests on four wide pillars with square base, topped with capitals crudely mimic the lonic style.
it was between 1795 and 1805 when the last renovation were made with its magnificent bell tower that has become the emblem of this temple.
Denomination: Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Palma
Activities: Christian ceremony
Legal typology: Monument
Protection: BIC – Site of Cultural Interest
Access: Pza. Alta, s/n