Arahal – Santo Cristo de la Misericordia Churh
Santo Cristo de la Misericordia Church
This 18th century church (1743-1757) owes its name to the image of Santo Cristo de la Misericordia (Holy Christ of Mercy) that presides over the main altar.
In the colonial baroque style, the building was previously a hospital and originally hermitage. It was built of brick and masonry and has a single nave and is laid out in the shape of a Latin cross, with four sections, two side chapels and a transept. The main altarpiece is very dynamic with cornices and mouldings that undulate and fragment in a way that anticipates the rococo style.
It is the canonical seat of the Hermandad de la Misericordia (Brotherhood of Mercy), which was set up in 1501.
Hospital Church of the Holy Christ of Mercy Data
Interesting work of the eighteenth century. It consists of a single nave with five sections, a Latin cross floor plan, with side chapels and a transept. The supports are pillars, on which semicircular arches rest. It is covered with a barrel vault and lunettes. The transept has a dome on pendentives with a rich decoration of pebbles, valances and wavy lines typical of Sevillian Baroque. The choir is located at the foot of the nave on the mezzanine. The sacristy, at the head, next to the wall of the Epistle, is covered with a barrel vault with lunettes. The main portal, with two bodies, with a semicircular arch on pilasters, topped by split and pendent pediments, framed by buttresses with attached columns, topped by fruit beds. The brick and tile tower has three bodies, being a remarkable work of the 18th century.