Arcos de la Frontera Old House – Palace of the Marquises de Torresoto
Old House – Palace of the Marquises de Torresoto
The Old House – Palace of the Marquises de Torresoto is located near the Plaza del Cananeo (Square), near the House – Palace of Juan de Cuenca and Farfan de los Godos and the House – Palace Nuñez de Prado in the white village of Arcos de la Frontera, Cadiz province, Andalusia.
It was the first palace of the Marquises de Torresoto. A standout feature of the building is its eighteenth century façade with a military shield of arms which represents the surnames of the different families who lived in the house: Andino, Gamaza, Bohorquez, and Quintanilla. In 1831 it became the property of the Marquis of Torresoto. To the right of the façade we see an eighteenth century tile, evidence that the house´s owners had connections to the Holy Inquisition.
It is situated opposite the Plaza del Cananeo which was the scene of dramatic representations of The Eucharist. This small plaza still conserves the character of old Arcos.