Arcos de la Frontera
Arcos de la Frontera
Arcos de la Frontera is nearly located in the geographical centre of Cádiz being part of Route of White Villages (Ruta de los Pueblos Blancos) and it is the limit between jerezana countryside and mountainous region where we can find the city.
It limits to the north with the towns Espera (Cádiz) and Bornos, to the northeast with Villamartín, to the east with El Bosque and Prado del Rey, to the southeast with Benaocaz and Ubrique, to the south with Algar and San José del Valle and to the west with Jerez de la Frontera.
It is a city with an outstanding beauty known all around the world through written and audiovisual media.
We can see its excellent panoramic from the road of Paterna and Alcalá de los Gazules to the South, from the one of Algar and El Bosque to the northwest and East, in the entrance from Jerez de la Frontera to the West and ancient path in Bornos and the entrance from the Arcos Reservoir to the North.
From the interior of the village we can observe the river and the countryside from the viewpoint of la Peña, Boliches Avenue, Peña Vieja Street, Abades Viewpoint, San Agustín Viewpoint and San Pedro and Santa María Towers.
Arcos de la Frontera has been declared a historic-artistic site, according to the decree of March 1962, because of its ancient wall and the remains that are preserved. There are another two historic-artistic monuments which are Santa María de la Asunción basilica and the organ of this basilica.
Historic City Centre. Declared Listed Building in 1962.
Hospital – San Juan de Dios Church
House Palace Conde del Aguila
House-Palace Matrera Abajo
Old House – Palace of the Marquises de Torresoto
House – Palace of Juan de Cuenca and Farfan de los Godos
House – Palace Nuñez de Prado
House – Palace of the Virues de Segovia and Inestal Family
House-Palace Garcia de Veas
Minor Basilica of Santa María de la Asuncion
San Francisco Church
San Pedro Church
San Miguel Church
San Agustín Church
Convent of the Incarnation
Convent of the Barefoot Mercedarian Order
Convent of the Jesuits
Unfinished Temple of Jesuits
Hospital of Charity
Former Monastery of the Franciscan-Barefoot Order(Maria Auxiliadora Church)
San Miguel Bridge
Slope of Bethlehem (Old Jerez Gate)
CICA (Interpretation Center of Arcos)
Olivares Veas Theatre
In 1962 the historic city centre was declared Listed Building. In numerous publications Arcos de la Frontera is described as the most beautiful village in Spain.
Sausages. Molinera garlic. Clausura soup. Serrano gazpacho (Andalusian cold soup). Asparagus soup. Tomato soup. Cabbage. Chickpeas with thyme. Scrambled eggs with asparagus. Dishes cooked with hunting, pork and lamb meat.
Sweets: Holy Week. Pestiños (honey-coated fritters). Small pies. Preserve cooked with serrana honey
Sparkling table wines both wine and red.
How to get there by road
Take the motorway A-382, that links directly with N-IV (Cádiz-Madrid).
To 25 kilometres you can find the motorway A-4, which links12 towns from Cádiz and another two from Sevilla and Málaga.
Likewise, and through the Local Road 343, (Espera-Cruce de Las Cabezas, Arcos links to the N-IV towards Sevilla.
Of course, you have to cross Arcos de la Frontera to access to the Route of White Villages through C-344.
Arcos de la Frontera is in the fifth position with regard to the structure of the home-made sector in Cádiz, both in the number of factories and the volume of production. It is a village where the precious handicraft is reaching considerable levels of development towards the market.
Among the different types of home-made arcense products, we can mention these: Textile mills – Harness shops – Pottery – Locksmith’s trade – Esparto grass
To Cádiz 64 km
To Sevilla 112 km
To Ronda 84 km
To Algodonales 50 km
To Villamartín 25 km
From here we can contemplate the flow of the river Guadalete through one of the most significant turban zones, which includes the Lower Town or the area known as Maria Auxiliadora, and its imposing Iron Bridge called San Miguel.
The Andalusian Garden is located in front of the San Pedro Church and is the consequence of a reform carried out earlier this century at the back of the Mayorazgo House – Palace, wich previously corresponded to its stables and play area.In this space we find the fusion of two elements that are indispensable in Andalusian culture and in our own: water and flora, which united in the environment where there are located, take us back to time past.
San Agustin Viewpoint
San Agustin Viewpoint is located in front of San Agustin Church, just few meters from Matrera Gate.
Its hight altitude allows contemplation of one of the meanders of the Guadalete River and the mountains of Barranco and of Bornos. From here we can also see the walled part of the city (San Antón Tower), La Angostura, the Arcos Dam and even the town of Villamartin.
Plaza del Cabildo Viewpoint
From this space, besides contemplating the imposing architecture of the Basilica and the Plaza del Cabildo (Square), we can admire the Guadalete river valley with its orchards and farmlands, as well as the Sierra de Dos Hermanas, the Sierra de la Sal and enclaves such as Medina Sidonia.
Calle Nueva (New Street)
It was the ancient moat of the Castle until, in 1755, the Lisbon earthquake knocked down the north wall, leading to the formation of this street. The archway of the street was built in 1684. Of deep poetic flavour: this was where, in 1949, the renowned poetic group “Alcaraván” was founded.
Calle Cuna (Cot Street)
The Calle Cuna is located near the Mayorazgo Palace and the San Pedro Church.
So named because it includes the entrance of the foundation for abandoned children. Situated in this street was the old granary establish by the Catholic Monarchs. The street was chosen by M. Utrillo to be reproduced in the “SpanishVillage” of Barcelona.