Aroche, Natural Park of Sierra de Aracena and Picos de Aroche
The village of Aroche is built on a hill, facing the mountain peak that bears its name and located in the western part of the Natural Park of Sierra de Aracena and Picos de Aroche (Peaks of Aroche). This is one of the most important protected areas of the Community in that it fills the north of the province with its meadows and small hills covered predominantly by forests of oaks, cork oaks, chestnut trees and undergrowth. Numerous streams run through the landscape, forming a countryside that is not only full of extraordinary beauty and charm but is also ideal for livestock, especially the Iberian pig that thrives in this ideal habitat.
The city centre, declared of great cultural interest, especially the parish church with its distinctive tower, stands near the castle and walls, within which there is the bullring. From this ground you can see a panoramic view of beautiful meadows and the Peaks. Other interesting monuments are the Ermita de S. Pedro de la Zarza, the Roman aqueduct, the Dolmen de Belleza and many more.
Archaeological findings in the area are evidence of the town’s prehistoric origins dating back to the Bronze Age. During Roman times it was the old Arucci Vetus, one of the most important towns of Roman Andalusia. It even minted coins in times of the emperor Constantine. The importance to the Romans of the area was the construction of an amphitheatre. Today the Castillo de las Armas stands on the site of the amphitheatre. The castle built by the Almoravides (A Berber warrior tribe) was conquered during the Christian conquest by Sancho II of Portugal in 1236. With Sancho IV, who rebuilt the castle, it passed over to the crown of Castile.
Castillo, IX century. It was built by the Almoravides and completely rebuilt in 1293. Inside the walls are the bullring and the Municipal Archaeological Museum.
Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, fifteenth century.
Christ of Humility, sixteenth century.
Ermita de San Pedro de la Zarza.
Ermita de San Mames, XII and XIV centuries. – Built in honour of Saint Mamas an image of Byzantine origin which was brought by devotees from Cappadocia.
Bridge and Shrine, Renaissance style.
Convento de la Cilla.
Aroche Archaeological sites
Remains of Roman road in Las Peñas.
Roman ruins in San Mames.
Contain Roman inscriptions.
Piedras del Diablo. (The Devils stones)
Set of dolmens and menhirs in the plain of the river.
The ruins of an amphitheatre.
Plaza de Toros.
In the castle grounds.
Holiday Palace, the seventeenth century.
Archeology and natural sciences.
Museum of the Holy Rosary.
Installed in a sixteenth century house. Only museum in the world. It currently holds more than 1,300 pieces.
(In the grounds of the Castle.)
Dishes made from the meat of the Iberian pig are prepared in different ways in the restaurants in the municipality.
Also typical is sopa de pesa – heavy soup so called because it was formerly prepared from the older heavier pigs.
Exit Huelva. N-431. Around Gibraleón, turn left (N-431.) Turn right: A-495. Crossing of San Bartolome de la Torre. Around Cabezas Rubias, at the roundabout, take exit 2 and continue: H-120. Turn left: H-9002 / H-9005. Continue until Aroche.
Distances from Aroche
La Nava 30km
Huelva 109 km
Aracena 42 km
Cortegana 15 km
Monesterio 98 km
Valverde del Camino 75 km