Arriate can be found in the depression of the Serrania de Ronda, surrounded to the north and west by the river Guadalcobacín, which in its passing creates places of great beauty. Besides these, there are fertile orchards that reach right to the outskirts of the village, adding to a landscape of olives, cereal, fruit and vegetables.
Legend traces the existence of the municipality back to the time of the Catholic Monarchs, the first written evidence dating back to 1570 in the Census of Philip II, although the origin of the name is Arabic, ´Arriadh` (Los Verjeles).
In 1630 the town was separated from the municipality of Ronda, although in 1635 it was rejoined to Ronda, after the Escritura of February 14, 1661, signed in Madrid before the clerk of King
Philip IV, Don Gabriel Rodriguez de las Cuevas, when Arriate got back its independence, paid for it the sum of three hundred and fifty-two thousand seven hundred and thirty-nine maravedies (farthings).
Iglesia de San Juan de Latran (Church of St. John of Latran)
Seniors` Residence ´Glorieta de San José`
Capilla de la Hermandad del Santisimo Cristo de la Sangre (Chapel of the Brotherhood of the Holy Blood of Christ)
Typical dishes of Arriate are cooked ´arriateño`, rabbit with garlic, pork, migas and local dishes such as boiled eggs, sweet lemons, bagels, gazpacho and Tortas de Semana Santa (cooked at Easter). Also ´perrunas` and wine donuts.
The town is situated just 8.5 km. from Ronda, access to it being virtually the same as to all the villages of the Serrania and also in its connections to the Costa del Sol, Malaga, Seville and Algeciras among others.
Distances from Arriate
Cadiz 153 km
Ronda 8.5 km
Seville 138 km
Malaga 123 km
Jerez de la Frontera 120 km