Ayamonte is the last municipality in the province, situated on the banks of the Guadiana River, which borders Portugal, on stony, broken ground, , full of slopes and cerros. Part of the terminus is included in the el Paraje Natural de las Marismas de Isla Cristina (Natural Park of the Marshes of Isla Cristina).
Traditional fishing and señorial can be found in the traces of all periods, including Roman ruins of the castle (now a parador), from which you can see the old town, medieval, rural, and the new, commercial seaport. Enjoy a privileged location, with an inland port sheltered from all winds, and a wide communications network.
There is evidence of Phoenician and Greek settlements, but the chief testimonies studied come from the Roman occupation. The current name may derive from the terms Aya and Iberian word, and Mons-tis, of Roman origin, which in both cases means mountain. According to Diaz Santos, M. L. (1990) we find the name of Ayamonte in the Chronicle of historical and geographical Arrasi Mohamed Ahmed, in the tenth century of Roman vestiges have as many archaeological sites in Isla Canela and the ancient castle, on whose foundations were later built an Arab fortress.
In the sixties, the remaining ruins of the castle were demolished and a the Parador Costa de la Luz was built on the site. This action destroyed the most important and oldest historical and artistic heritage of Ayamonte.
The Christian conquest in 1239 by King Sancho II of Portugal, gave rise to the Order of Santiago. During the reign of Alfonso X the Wise it was part of the Crown of Castile, but was given as dowry to get his daughter Beatrix on the throne of Portugal.
In 1335 Ayamonte was finally gained for the domain of Castile and was converted by King Alfonso XI of Castile to be the nucleus of the Marquess of the same name, then broken up by the Guzmans of the Condado Niebla in 1396.
It extends the Marquesses lands to the Rio Piedras and comprised the towns of Lepe, Redondela, San Silvestre de Guzman and Villablanca. Evidence of theimportance of thesae towns was that they were given city status by privilege of King Philip IV in 1665
Roman origin. It was restored during the Muslim occupation. It now houses the Parador.
Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, sixteenth century. Baroque style with Moorish influences.
Parish Church of the Savior, the fifteenth century. Built on the foundations of a mosque.
Iglesia de San Francisco, sixteenth century. From a former convent. It retains a beautiful Mudejar coffered ceiling. Declared a National Monument.
Church of the Convent of Mercy, the fifteenth century. Built to rescue captives.
Church of the Convent of the Sisters of the Cross. Gothic style.
Chapel of St. Sebastian, sixteenth century.
Palacio del Marques de Ayamonte.
Also called Brazil.
Punta del Moral.
Contains a Roman mausoleum. It is also interesting seaside town.
Isla Canela, sixteenth century.
Here we find Canela Watchtower, fortification built to protect the area and monitor possible attacks by Barbary pirates and pirates.
Ayamonte yet have a traditional native cuisine that is conserved through the efforts of professional and amateur chefs who have managed to maintain.
Historically Ayamonte cuisine is influenced by the cultures that passed through this land: Phoenicians, Romans, Arabs.
Although many Ayamontino dishes are based on fish and seafood, also include the Iberian pork with vegetables and legumes.
Perhaps the most famous dishes are the Raya in Paprika, Rape a la marinera or potatoes, grilled sardines, tuna in any specialty (grilled, onions, tomato, cooked with potatoes, stuffed cuttlefish …), the or fried beans, “fried fish, shellfish, clams, clams, longerones, shrimps and prawns of course.
Many of these dishes can be tasted in the many bars and restaurants in Ayamonte, like tapas, accompanied by white wine or beer Condado de Huelva.
As for desserts include pastries and more specifically the typical “Coca” Ayamonte, often taste above all in the timing of Easter.
Exit Huelva. Cross Corrales. Continue along: A-492. Traverse Cartaya. Go to Lepe. Exit and continue Lepe: N-431 to Ayamonte.
Lepe 24 km
Huelva 68 km
Villablanca 15 km
Isla Cristina 12 km