Beas, Comarca del Condado
Regarding its origin the traditional hypothesis sustained by historians indicates that it may be due to the long-established crossing of two tracks: firstly from Trigueros in the south, leading to the lands of Andévalo and the Sierra and secondly, an agricultural way that leads from the Niebla County in the west to the borderlands of Portugal. This hypothesis about the origin of the village was first held in the sixteenth century by the historian Rodrigo Caro, for whom the Beas would be a place name derivation of the Latin word “See” or “Vehas” that alludes to a passageway or crossroads.
However, more recent studies of Beas have suggested that the name is rooted in the Mozarabic word “see”, which means a fertile plain and alludes to the rich and fertile orchards that have always existed in the riverbeds of the Trigueros.
The original town planning scheme was due to the meanders of the village, in other words it followed the road from the highest point, occupied by the church. The oldest part of town is situated between the church and the stream of Trigueros, with streets with a more or less meandering path. Later, between the 16th and 19th centuries it was built in blocks and straight paths that converged on the square.
There is evidence of settlement in the Neolithic and Chalcolithic period (Labradillo and The Dolmen de Soto). Evidence of life in the Bronze Age settlements such as burials, furnishings, pottery, axes has been found to the south of the area.
Roman remains have also been found near the Fuente de San Benito, which belonged to a village house of the Bajo Imperial epoch. They have also been found in Bugles and other remains found in the surrounding areas.
Remains have been found from the Arab presence in Matahijos (bottles, bowls, and furnishings). The fact that this cemetery is near the nucleus of the area, now totally destroyed, suggests a village existed at that time.
The first written references to Beas were found after the Castilian conquest of the kingdom of Niebla in 1262. The new organization of Niebla City Council was established by Alfonso X, and included in the jurisdiction of this city the then village of Beas and the now defunct, San Benito del Alamo.
In December 1342, Alfonso XI of Beas donated Beas to D. Juan Alonso de la Cerda, lord of Gibraleón, which again was passed, on his death, to the jurisdiction of Niebla, part of the estate of Don Juan Alfonso de Guzmán, M. de Sanlucar de Barrameda. This continued until the demise of the estates of the ancient regime in the nineteenth century.
The building of the Church of St. Bartholomew began in the 14th century on a Mudejar Gothic plot. In 1503 the village had 437 residents and during the century experienced a major economic growth that continued throughout the first decades of the next century thanks to booming export business going to America. The sixteenth century also marked the first time when the sites of Candon and Navahermosa, Beas existing villages, begin to be populated by residents of Valverde del Camino.
In the second half of the seventeenth and early eighteenth century there was a widespread decline of its economy and population due to the Portuguese and succession wars. Added to this were the serious consequences of the Lisbon earthquake of 1755.
With the political changes following the adoption of the Constitution of Cadiz in 1812, Beas reached the current status of municipality. Following the confiscation of church property at the end of the nineteenth century, major reforms of road layout were undertaken and building resulting from the sale of land occupied by the hospital of Santa Maria de Gracia.
In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries there is a large urban population explosion, widely considered to be the urban population of Beas. Also improved communications as a result of the railroad from San Juan del Puerto and new roads and paths.
By the mid -twentieth century, as a consequence of civil war, there is a considerable decrease in population and great economic depression that caused famines and a dearth of the basic needs of the inhabitants. Many Beasinos sought a better life in Catalonia and other regions of Spain as well as the more distant regions of Europe.
Following the arrival of democracy and up to this day to this day there has been a qualitative and quantitative improvement of the quality of life. Vast amount of civil works have been undertaken (improvement of streets, municipal buildings, schools, drinking water, sanitation, rural roads, etc.) Alongside this growth is a major growth in the cultural and social life (the creation of numerous associations, sports, various workshops, etc.)
San Bartolomé Church , XVcentury.
Virgen de los Clarines Hermitage.
Virgen de España Hermitage.
Sotiel Coronado Hermitage
Ermita rural, (popular architecture).
Gazpacho. Caldereta. Migas.
Sweets: Piñonates. Pestiños. Empanadillas.
Leave Huelva, direction San Juan del Puerto –Trigueros-Fregenal de la Sierra. Near San Juan de la Puerto, turn right, N-435 direction Trigueros-Bajados. Soon after Trigueros arrive at Beas.
Distances from Beas
Huelva 29 km
Gibraleón 19 km
Niebla 15 km
Trigueros 6,5 km