The village of Benahavís is situated in the interior of the comarca (region) of the western Costa del Sol, 21 km from Marbella . The village is about 160 metres above sea level, the average rainfall is 900 l/m2 and the average temperature is slightly more than 17 º C.
The origins of the municipality are in the times of Arab rule, emerging under the Castillo de Montemayor. This castle, and several watchtowers, with the small parish church of the Virgen del Rosario (18th century) are some of the most important monumental works of Benahavis, which currently has the similar style and aspect of the white villages of the west coast. To the south there are luxury estates, golf courses and other tourist elements, resulting from development of the area.
Apparently Benahavís belonged to the municipality of Marbella under the “Carta Puebla or Town Charter” which was granted in 1572 by Philip II. Its history is linked to the Arab past of the Costa del Sol.
Montemayor Castle, built in the tenth century and of which some parts of the walls are still in good condition, was for many years rather coveted by military factions of the time. The castle’s strategic position earned it the attention of the Catholic Monarchs, and it was engaged in the conquering of the last Moorish kingdoms of southern Iberia.
On June 11, 1485, Benahavis, along with Daidín, Montemayor Castle, Fortaleza de Cortes, Oxen, Arboto, Almachor, Tramores and fuerte de Calalui (Castillo de la Luz or Castle of Light), Sierra Bermeja, all within the comarca of Marbella, were handed over by Mohammed Abuneza to Ferdinand after signing the articles of surrender. The Catholic King entrusted their custody to Don Pedro Villandrando, Earl of Ribadeo, the first Christian mayor of Benahavis.
From that time on there was a struggle between Benahavis and Marbella which lasted three and a half centuries until Benahavis managed to obtain complete independence.
Most of the municipality is forest covered. The village and the local developments occupy only a small part of a natural area that has places like ” Las Angosturas”, declared ” Monument of Natural Interest “and is nestled in the foothills of Monte Matrona, all within the Serrania de Ronda.
Torre de la Romera (tower)
Torre Esteril (tower)
Torre de Benamarin (tower)
Torre de la Leonera (tower)
Torre de Tramores (tower)
Iglesia de la Virgen del Rosario (Church of Our Lady of the Rosary)
Guadalmina Dam & Reservoir
Gastronomy of Benahavís
The village of Benahavis is renowned for its cuisine; its town centre has many restaurants where you can taste typical dishes such as chorizo al agua, pork, lamb, rabbit stews and partridge, oxtail, grilled sirloin in salsa, paella and seafood casserole.
From the N-340 towards Estepona past San Pedro de Alcantara is the turn off to Benahavis. The village is 7 km into the mountains.
Distances from the village
San Pedro de Alcántara 12km