Bezmiliana Fortress – Rincón de la Victoria
The Bezmiliana Fortress is located in the town of Rincon de la Victoria, next to the N-340 and separated from the sea by it, a few meters from the Paseo Maritimo Virgen del Carmen (promenade).
The Bezmiliana Fortress was built in 1766 under the reign of Carlos III as a defensive fortification of the coast and rehabilitated for Cultural Center by the city of Rincon de la Victoria with subsidy from the Ministry of Culture.
It was inaugurated on June 20, 1992.
The Bezmiliana Fortress is an example of 18th century fortified fortress, being a military architecture or fortified plaza perhaps executed by the military architec-engineer Francisco Gozar. It responds to a clear quadrangular trace surrounded by an outer wall of heavy masonry, with two garitones located a the NE and SW angles. It has two doors, one main on the north wall an one that is smaller on the south wall. A moat around, just currently visible, complete its exterior description.
The building is structured on two floors separated by two half-barrel vaults. A spiral staircase serves as access to the second floor which forms the terrace of the building. It is to emphasize its quadrangular plant. Its walls are of strong and solid masonry, with large stones between rows of bricks, with reinforcement of ashlars to blight in the angles. They emphasize the entrance door, of great ashlars inside a simple neoclasical structure, finished off by a frontispiece. Also it is to emphasize the gate, composed of thick planks trimmed with iron bands, in addition to the so-calle “bodies of guards”.
By 1766 this construction can be located in the time of Carlos III, when the international situation made it necessary to adapt coastal defense to strategic innovations. Berber piracy was no longer the main danger, and the almenaras towers, of wich the Cantal and Benagalbon are a good example, were useful to ensure alertness to the Nort African incursions, but to keep at bay the powerful artillery of the English fleet precise bastions adapted to modern military techniques were made. The solidity of the construction has allowed us to reach this important example of the 18th century military architecture, which after the restoration in 1992, has recovered much of its pas splendor, giving it a new function as a exhibition center, very useful for the cultural needs of Rincon de la Victoria.