Bornos – Santo Domingo de Guzman Church
Santo Domingo de Guzman Church
The Santo Domingo de Guzman Church is located in the Plaza Alcalde José González (Square), in front of the Town Hall, near the Gardens of the Palace of Los Ribera and the Ribera´s Castle Palace, in the Andalusian town of Bornos, Cadiz.
We know for a fact the church was built around the XV or XVI century, thanks to the preserved records, amongst which, in the ones from 1559, Hernán Ruiz (Senior Master of Seville Cathedral) commits to the removal of the building´s four structural pillars.
The Santo Domingo de Guzman Church has a rectangular floor with three naves and a transept, flanked by side chapels as the Tabernacle one, where the village´s patron Saint, the Virgen Del Rosario is worshiped, as well as the Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno chapel.
The main façade is characterized by its architectural clearness, divided in two storey’s and crowned with a triangular gable that has a tile of its main image. On the right hand side of the access door a tombstone is preserved, it reflects the existence of relics of some saints as Santo Tome or Santa Afra.
Adjacent to the façade, the bell tower is found, it is 31 meters high, built in 1792 it presents ceramic décor on the set of bells.