Bujalance – Alto Guadalquivir Region
Bujalance is one of the eastern most municipalities in the province of Córdoba, bordering on the province of Jaen. It is within the Alto Guadalquivir, together with Adamuz, Cañete de las Torres, El Carpio, Montoro, Pedro Abad, Villa del Rio and Villafranca de Córdoba. To the north it borders the municipalities of Pedro Abad, Montoro and Villa del Rio, to the east by Lopera, to the south by Cañete de las Torres and Cordoba and finally to the west by El Carpio.
Within the town are located two distinct “barrios” or areas, Bujalance and the hamlet of Morente, about 5km distant from each other.
The historical role of Bujalance is mainly due to its location and its rich soil, as a sign of its magnificent location it can be noted that the Roman road which linked the region of Cordoba with the comarca of Castulo passed through the town. In the Roman period Bujalance lands, like many close to the Guadalquivir, would be affected by the phenomenon of rural deployment, manifested in the proliferation of villas, largely conditioned by the fertility of coastal lands and ease of communication represented by the river.
During the Muslim era was built the castillo Bury al-Hansh (Torre de la Serpiente, Tower of the Serpent), as a watchtower over access to the city of Cordoba. Already in the thirteenth century the name appears as Burialhanç or Burialhançe of the toponym which would become Bujalance. From the second half of the fifteenth century Bujalance was to acquire some importance which would coincide with a population increase, so becoming the property of the Crown, after Cordoba, with larger populations.
In 1594 independence was purchased, thereby obtaining the title of city in 1630. Philip IV granted to the city in 1638 an annual fair, taking place between August 26 and September 12, besides enjoying a weekly market on Saturdays.
In the last two centuries of its history of note is the participation of the town in the War of Independence during the French occupation, the abuses of the bandit gangs in the first half of the nineteenth century due to its privileged location near the road to Madrid, and finally, in the present century, the high degree of organization of the peasant movement, imbued with anarcho-syndicalist ideas during the Second Republic.
Iglesia de Ntra Sra de la Asuncion (Church of Our Lady of the Assumption)
Santa Teresa Convent
Iglesia de la Milagrosa (Church of the Miracle)
San Francisco Church
Jesus Nazareno Chapel
Santa Cruz Chapel
Hospital of San Juan de Dios (St. John of God)
Castillo – Alcazaba
Many dishes and delicacies are to be found in Bujalance, highlighting all the exceptional qualities of the ingredients, among which local olive oil has a fundamental role in the preparation of these dishes. Special mention is due to: Stuffed Potatoes (potato wheels stuffed with minced meat, egg “emborrizadas” and potato chips in olive oil). Flamenquines ham (pork fillet stuffed with ham and bacon, breaded and fried in olive oil) and Cholondros de Casa Patrico (irregularly cut pieces of loin with almond sauce served with potatoes.) Among the sweets are homemade pastry dough fried in olive oil (pestinos lazos and caracolillos), set fruit with almond made from ground almonds, eggs and sugar.
Out of Cordoba. Continue to: E-5 / A-4. Take the exit towards: CP-164. Turn right: CP-164. Turn left: CP-146. Enter Bujalance.
Distances from Bujalance
Cordoba 41 km
Morente 5 km
El Carpio 14 km
Montoro 16 km
Algallarín 36 km
Pedro Abad 12 km
Villa del Rio 15 km
Rubillas Baja 12km
Cañete de las Torres A 7.5 km