Cabra Asunción y Angeles Church
Asunción y Ángeles Church – Cabra
Location: the church is located in the town center, at Ruben Dario square.
Known the “Mosque of the Baroque”, the origin of this jewel of the baroque in Cordoba seems to lie in the acto dedication of the old Muslim mosque to Santa Maria de los Angeles in the year 1241, date in which supposedly the city was conquered by Ferdinand III and making referente to the celebration on the 15 of August, day of the Virgen of Asunción.
In the 17th century, José Granados de la Barrera, born in Cabra, Master of the Cathedral of Granada (author of the design of the interior and the façade of the Cathedral of Granada) was the one in charge to perform works in the greater chapel, cruise and the vaults that cover it, as well as to project the execution of the greater altarpiece and its side in stone. That, along with the reconstruction of the tower, begins to provide it with the baroque look which we admire today. The present monumental baroque main entrance is made of jasper work by the stonecutters Juan Antonio del Pino and Antonio Chacón, with Jerónimo de Priego as master builder.
The interior is a space of five crafts, being the central one wider than ones on the sides. They are arranged in rows of arches on top of 44 columns, and covered by tube vaults. The greater altarpiece was made of red and black marble by the famous Melchor de Aguirre of Basque origin, who finished it in 1674 upon a project of the also well known architect Jose Granados de la Barrera. This is an altarpiece of transition to the baroque style, that stands out as a representative example of the best marble alterpieces. The red jasper extracted in the quarries of the Sierra de Cabra turned into one of the best materials of that time. The central niche holds the image of Our Lady of Asuncion, made in Granada in 1693, and in the attic there is a cross, which also dates to the late 17th century, a good example close to Mora´s style.