Cabra – Las Agustinas Conventual Church
Las Agustinas Conventual Church – Cabra
The convent of Agustinas Recoletas was founded in 1697, although the present building and church dates from 1707. Its church responds to the sobriety of the architecture of the time in which it was projected. It consists of a one single craft, which is divided in four sections. The first one is covered by the high choir. The second by an edge vault, as well as the third one, which leads to two side chapels in form of a cruise. The greater altar is covered with a hemispheric dome up on pendentive, without lunettes.
The greater altarpieces of carved and golden wood, is an anonymous work finished in 1785. It displays three rows with niches, separated by Solomonic columns at the ends and smaller columns in the middle. The attic forms means point of stormleaf with the hearts of the Augustinian Order and Angustias of the Virgin Maria, and a cross in the middle. This altarpiece that today we know came to replace a previous on of 1713. In the central dressing room are the images of Our Lady of Angustias and the lying Christ. This extraordinary sculpture set coming from Granada accompanied the nuns in its original trip of 1697. It is given to the circle of Jose de Mora and dated towards the third quarter of 17th century.
It is one of the representation of the Virgin of Piedad. This iconography of Germanic gothic origin is added the attribute of the swords which go trough the heart of Maria. This element constitutes an example form Cabra which turns out to be an addition to the attire or clothes of the Virgin in the form of metallic heart with the seven daggers, in reference to the pains of Maria. The stature of Christ constitutes, without a doubt, one of the best pieces of a dead Christ in the Andalusian image factory of all times.