Cabra – Santo Domingo de Guzman Parish Church
Santo Domingo de Guzman Parish Church – Cabra
It was the first convent of Cabra founded on 22nd March 1550 by the Antón de Leon y Fernandez de Córdoba and his wife Juana de Gálvez. The present work of the church is clearly of a later date, being an example of the 16th century in some of the chapels.
The church that we see today is the result of the contributions made through time and of the modern reforms that have been made of the last quarter of the 20th century, between 1975 and 1997. The origins of the building are in a small hermitage, named the Doctrine of the beginning of the 16th century. The works in the church begin from 1550, and they are undertaken in several stage.
The present brick façade on the outside of the is the result of a remodelling carried out between 1954 and 1958. The front door is made of white limestone. Two black marble columns rise on ashlar masonry bases, with Corinthian capitals, which hold some pillars upon which an entablature is supported. There, it appears the image of the Purisima in a niche between columns, crowned with a cleft wall.
Inside, the temple consists of a single, but ample craft, a typical space, covered by a great barrel vault. On both sides, there are big arches that lead to the side chapels. There are five chapels on the right side and four on the left. This distribution and planning are common in the architectonic schemes followed by the Dominican Order. It is the substitution of the side crafts by several chapels of square plant, communicated by corridors.