The village of Cala is situated to the northeast of the province on the border with Badajoz, in the Natural Park of Sierra de Aracena and Picos de Aroche, one of the most important protected areas of the Municipality. It occupies the entire north of the province with its meadows and small hills covered predominantly by forests of oaks, cork oaks, chestnut trees and undergrowth, and numerous streams, forming a landscape of extraordinary beauty and attractiveness.
Cala’s origins date back to ancient times. It existed from the time of the Romans, who founded it with the name of Restituta Llulia. The Goths and Arabs fortified the area with a strong castle. It was reconquered by Ferdinand III between 1246 and 1248. Ferdinand´s son, Alfonso X the Wise awarded the estate to the city of Seville, giving them their own rights and privileges.
Cala was famous at the time of Roman rule because of the bricks that were made there, which were different from any others, according to Vertrubio, an historian who lived before Christ and wrote his famous architectural works in Rome and later his Natural History that celebrated the bricks of Cala, because they were made using very little water, which made them very light, but strong, and water resistant.
Regarding the etymology, it should be noted that the word Callentun, from which is derived Calla or Cala, comes from the Greco – Latin, meaning beautiful. This name is apt for this town given its location, the Arab fortress that dominates the landscape, and the rich and fertile land which produces grain, oil, wine, spirits and good pasture for cattle. In the sixteenth century the town was noted for its development of fine glass, which is mentioned by distinguished writers of the time.
Following the implementation of the liberal regime in Spain around 1812 and the formation of the province of Huelva, Cala ceased to belong to Sevilla and was assigned to the Judicial District of Aracena, its present province.
Church of St. Mary Magdalene
Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Cala
Products made of pork are the base of the kitchen. They can be eaten fried and, at slaughtering time, dishes of pig’s ear are in abundance.
There is also famous lobster stew and lamb stew, pastry buns and pork rinds.
Cala Getting there
Out of Seville. Turn right: E-803 / A-66 towards Merida, passing near Camas. Continue along: E-803 / N-630, Entremontes. Turn right: E-803 / A-66. On the outskirts of Santa Olalla, turn left: E-803 / N-630. Follow signs to the town.
Sevilla 81 km
Huelva 170 km
Aracena 53 km
Badajoz 184 km
Monesterio 30 km
Santa Olalla de Cala 12 km