Cantoria, Almanzora Region
Cantoria is located in the North of Almería, in the centre of the Region Valle del Almanzora. It has an area of 79 km2, that borders to the north on Partaloa and Albox, to the south on Albanchez, Líjar and Lubrín, to the east on Arboleas and to the west on Fines and Macael.
It is to 382 metres above sea level and its geographical coordinates are: at latitude 37º 22′ 8″ degrees North (almost identical to the one of Sevilla in Spain and Seoul in Korea) and at longitude 2º 10′ degrees, this one with respect to the Greenwich Meridian (very similar to the Cuenca in Spain and Manchester in Great Britain). Like curious information we have to say that the most remote point of Cantoria (its antipodes in the globe) is located above the sea, to scarcely distance from the coast of Aitape, in New Guinea.
More locally, Cantoria has, apart from the own town, several areas like: Almanzora, Arroyo Aceituno, Arroyo Albanchez, La Hojilla, La Hoya, Marchal, La Rambla de Torrobra and Terreros.
It is not clear the origin of its name, for some, the Arabs called it Canturia. For others, related to Oria, with a Castilian name.
Cantoria was a primitive Arab town settled in the XII century. From this age we only preserve some remains of its old fortress in the place called Piedra de lugar viejo. The present settlement of the town will be carried out among the years 1570 and 1573.
With the Christian conquest, the Catholic Monarchs gave it the title of Villa. The Marquis of Los Vélez would buy it together with Partaloa and it cost two million and a half of maravedis in 1515.
With the Moorish uprising (1568-157), the Marquis de los Vélez tries to stifle it. The resistance of Cantoria was epic. Juan de Austria is the person who finishes with the conflict. Once the war finishes, the Morisco would be expelled from the Kingdom of Granada.
Cantoria arises in the Edad Moderna (period from the Middle Ages to the French Revolution) and its urban structure is a homogeneous layout whose main axis converge in La Plaza. Nowadays, apart from the agriculture, in Cantoria it is located one of the biggest companies of the marble sector in Almería.
Palace of the marquis of Almanzora, XIX century.
Church of La Virgen de los Dolores, from the XIX Century and Neoclassic style.
Piedra del Lugar Viejo or Castillo de Cantoria.
La Torreta, XIV century. Tower of masonry with a circular base.
iedra del Lugar Viejo.
Small village of Almanzora.
With an old railway station.
Urban area that is similar to an oasis in the valley.
Gazpacho cantoriana. Migas. Arroz con conejo. Cocido de morcilla. Conejo al ajillo. Tortilla de ajos. Patatas bocabajo. Patatas con ajo. Carne en salsa cantoriana.
How to get there
You have to exit Almería. Take the Road of Granada, cross Huércal de Almería and follow straight on. Then take the road N-340 towards: Huércal de Almería – Almería – E-15 – N-340 – Nijar – Murcia. In the roundabout, take the salida 1 and continue in: A-92A towards: A-92 – Benahadux – Guadix. Alleyway of Benahadux, in the roundabout, Take the salida 3 and continue in: A-92 towards: Guadix – Granada. Take the exit towards: Salida 373/376 – Tabernas – Murcia – N-340a. In the roundabout, take the salida 2 and continue in: N-340A. You are going to pass near Tabernas. In the roundabout, take the salida 4 and continue in: A-349. Pass near Tahal. In the area around Olula del Río, continue in: A-334. Follow the signs until you get Cantoria.
Almería 90 km
Albox 12 km
Partaloa 8 km
Lubrín 41 km
Tahal 33 km
Purchena 18 km
Macael 14 km
Olula del Río 11 km
Huércal Overa 34 km
Cuevas del Almanzora 42 km