Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Monuments in Málaga

Cartama – San Pedro Apostol Parish Church

Monuments in Málaga

Cartama – San Pedro Apostol Parish Church

The San Pedro Apostol Parish Church is located at the Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitución), next to the Archaeological Park and few minutes from Cártama Castle Walls.

The San Pedro Apóstol Parish Church dates back to 1502. Just after the Christian Reconquest, the Catholic Monarchs ordered its construction on the site of an old mosque. Originally, the church was consecrated and came under the patronage, of Santa María de la Encarnación. Once established as a parish in 1505, like other churches in the province, being confirmed and instituted by the Bishop of Seville D. Diego de Leza.

The construction, built in Neo-Mudéjar style, is composed of three naves separated by pillars, semicircular arches and wooden coffered ceiling. It combines Gothic, Mudéjar and Renaissance features. One can find some niches with the images of saints, christs and virgins in the side naves. Serious attention should be paid to the Altar of the Nazarene. The statue, made by an unknown artist, is the only one preserved from the spoils of the Spanish Civil War. The altar, where one finds this magnificent masterpiece, is covered by Seville tiles which imitate the ones located inside Seville´s Parish Church of El Salvador. The image of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, Patron Saint of Cártama, remains in its central chapel from 22nd April to the first Sunday in June.

The exterior quadrangular tower is made up of three sections, being covered by Arab roof tiles. After its latter restoration, the original paintings of the tower can be appreciated. The beautiful front of the church, with a semicircular arch and a coat of arms, also stands out.

San Pedro Apostol Parish Church - Cártama

San Pedro Apostol Parish Church - Cártama

San Pedro Apostol Parish Church - Cártama

Marian image of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios

When the Catholic Monarchs reconquered Cártama, the patronage of the Virgin of the Incarnation was established. However, a unique event will mark this image´s history until today. At the end of the 16th century, the Southern Guadalhorce Valley region (as well as other areas of the province) was hit by several epidemics. Many people died in those terrible days, with practically no time to be buried. People thought about death day and night, almost forgetting their businesses and earthly things. Being plunged into such a deep devastation, the local people appealed to faith as a last resort. Someone suggested taking “the Virgin of the Mountain” out in a praying procession. All natives of Cártama, in tears and sobs, accompanied the Virgin on the way down from the Sanctuary to the streets of the town. In that moment, everybody could realize that the terrible disease was gradually ceasing during the passage of the image. It was on 23rd April 1579. This is the moment when the patronage of the Virgin changes, taking the name of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios (Our lady of Remedios). This is such an important date for the local history that it was passed on by oral tradition over the centuries. Since then, every 22nd April, The Virgin of Los Remedios is carried in procession in Cártama, being accompanied by a lot of pilgrims coming from the most diverse places.

Of unknow authorship, the image of the Virgin de los Remedios is a polychrome wooden carrying, with a height of about 20 cm, representing the figure of the Virgin holding Child Jesus in her chest and arms. Today, everybody is familiar with the image of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, dressed in beautiful rabes donated by warshippers. For that reason, the image is almost hidden, being only visible her face, hands and the infant Jesus.

Festivity of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios: On 23rd April. The previous day, the descent of the image of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios from the hermitage to the Parish Church of San Pedro takes place. The procession of the Virgin through the streets of Cártama is celebrated on 23rd April. The venerated image is taken from the church to the hermitage on the first Sunday in June.

Date of stay of the image in the temple: Nuestra Señora de los Remedios remains in the Parish Church of San Pedro Apóstol from 22nd April to the first Sunday in June.


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment