The Casares Castle is located in the Andalusian locality of Casares, province of Malaga.
Access: easily access to the walled enclosure from the town square, leaving the San Sebastian Parish Church on your right.
State: only remains of the castle.
History of the Fortress of Casares
The only historical reference to the Fortress of Casares prior to the conquest is provided by Simonet, collected from Ibn al-Jatib, as one of the villages that existed in the kingdom of Granada.It would rise as a defensive stronghold of the Nasrid kingdom on its southewestern border.The taking of Ronda makes possible the capitulation of Casares in the campaign of May 1485, given to Sancho de Saravia.
Subsequently and before the need of money for the Crown, is given in exchange of a loan to Rodrigo Ponce de Leon, Duke of Cadiz, in 1491. In parallel the phenomenon of repopulation of the coastal zone by old Christians occurs, whereas the Moorish population is relegated to the mountains.
Castle and Arab Wall 13th century
This construction dating from their Arab-Moorish period, is the origin of the town of Casares. Built on the top of a rocky massif, the Castle has an unbeatable overview of all the area´s approaches: from Campo of Gibraltar, Ronda, and Algeciras. The construction had a clear defensive purpose. The wall, which follows a jagged and angular path, is adapted to their complex orography of the ground. It served to delimit this insurmountable enclosure. We can still see the ruins of the main doors: two arches placed in Villa Street and Arrabal Street.
In the course of time, the population spread adapting its urban design to the walls of the fortress. The result was a population with a distinctly Arab physiognomy. Casares place-name itself comes from the Arabic al-Qasr, meaning “fortress”, ”castle”.