Castaño del Robledo
Castaño del Robledo
The municipality of Castaño del Robledo is located in the heart of the mountains north of the province. It belongs to the Natural Park Sierra de Aracena and Picos de Aroche, one of the most important protected areas of the Community that occupies the entire northern province with its meadows and small hills covered predominantly by forests of oaks, cork oaks, chestnut trees and undergrowth, where many rolling streams form a landscape of extraordinary beauty. From the viewpoint of Conejales you can enjoy one of the most beautiful views of the park.
The hamlet, which has been declared of Cultural Interest, is an architectural ensemble of great interest, highlighting the Iglesia Parroquial de Santiago el Mayor – the Church of St. James the Great, Humilladeros del Señor – the shrines of the Lord, the Fuente and some old houses. Early reviews of this town date back to the fifteenth century, because of its share of a levy to the War of Granada. But its official foundation was carried out in 1554 by five residents of Aracena, as a dependant village. At this time a role was occasionally played by the famous humanist – parish priest Benito Arias Montano.
The emancipation process began in 1700, when its 50 inhabitants complained to the Royal Court about the abuse they received from the town of Aracena. From that moment there began a period of economic and demographic splendour that extended into the second half of next century. .In 1877 the population reached its highest ever.
In the eighteenth century there was a major exploitation of chestnuts and other primary production, livestock, mining and forestry, which joined the hunting and industrial activities in the nineteenth century.
In the twentieth century the population suffered a decline due to a crisis of the primary economies suffered by Sierra. Currently, this town produces half of chestnut production in the whole province; this and pig farming are the backbone of the economy of this area.
Castaño del Robledo Monuments
Iglesia Parroquial de Santiago el Mayor Parish (Church of St. James the Great.)
Neoclassical church, unfinished.
Shrines of the Lord.
Nuestra Señora del Rosario. (Our Lady of the Rosary)
Houses, XV to XVIII centuries.
Fountain, eighteenth century
Castaño del Robledo Gastronomy
Sausages (all Iberian pork).
Nuts: chestnuts and walnuts.
From Seville: Take the road Sevilla-Mérida and then take the turning to Portugal-Aracena. Past Aracena before reaching Fuenteheridos turn left, then follow clearly marked signs.
Distances from Castaño del Robledo
Jabugo 6 km
Aguafria 7 km
Aracena 15 km
Huelva 105 km
El Quejigo 4.5 km
Monesterio 79 km
Fuenteheridos 5.5 km