Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Castles in Huelva

Castle of Almonaster la Real

Castles in Huelva

Castle of Almonaster la Real

The Castle of Almonaster la Real is located on a hill, together with the Almonaster Mosque and the Bullring.

Castillo de Almonaster la RealThe walled, irregular plant has an area of 8288 meters square and a perimeter of 313 m articulated by wall paintings of towers with rectangular and circular at the corners and in the middle of the longer stretches. The height of the canvas is perfectly adapted to topography presenting different heights.

His works reveals several stages of construction: the oldest can be traced to the Caliphate and his canvases are reinforced with blocks of Roman masonry in the corners, can also be seen Almohads important interventions in the areas of red clay brick wall, and finally appears masonry of medieval Christianity.

He had an important defensive role against the Christian advance in the Islamic era and against the Portuguese advance in the Christian era, as part of the Banda Gallega.
Inside, the mosque and the bullring (19th century).

Old Fortress
X- XIII Century
Style: califal, almohade y tardo medieval

Almonaster la Real Castle

Castle of Almonaster la Real – Historical facts

On the site of the fortress, or in the valley where the town is located today, there was a Roman population of a certain size, as evidenced by the marble used on the walls and supports of the hermitage; Precisely the chronological continuity deduced from such remains confirms the belief that the place has been a very significant population entity since the 1st century AD. C. to the present day.

The first certain and dated testimony to the existence of Almonaster is the one reported by the Muslim geographer Abu Ubaid al Bakri: during the emirate of al-Hakan B. Hisam, who died in May 822 AD. C. Apparently the mountain range was not reconquered as a precedent or consequence of the taking of Seville, but by the repeated incursions of the Portuguese military orders in the time of King D. Sancho, although we must think that the occupied territory was not repopulated , since D. Alfonso III, his brother and successor, had to occupy it in 1251 due to the threat of immediate Castilian intervention. Castilian rule was ratified by the Treaty of Badajoz, which was signed in February 1267; the sierra became part of the alfoz de Sevilla, to which Almonaster belonged.

A document of special significance for the history of the castle is kept in the Simancas Archive; This is the appraisal of the building ordered by Philip II in 1583. The document briefly describes the hermitage, recalling its use as a mosque in Moorish times, mentioning the cistern, the tower and the way it is done seems to indicate the relative proximity of its construction to the appraisal date. The list was accompanied by a plant of the castle, the mosque and some rooms that completed the set. The building, despite its distance and little historical relief, today has a bibliography of some length, however, we must point out how most of the authors who cite it have not visited it. Madoz mentions the ruined castle and hermitage in a succinct description. Amador de los Ríos repeats almost exactly the same words from him. J. Paz published, in 1911, the document that we have mentioned previously, without adding anything about the building, nor any comment.

In 1931, “Sevillian Mudejar Architecture of the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries” by Angulo Iñiguez was published: it describes the building and the circumstances of its abandonment, and for the first time the mihrab and the Visigoth pieces are mentioned. Chueca Goitia, based on the conclusions of the previous authors, includes the building in a chapter of “Eleventh-century mosques and oratories”; this reference is the last that we know in which, with scientific intention, the building is mentioned as a mosque. The most recent publications are those of F. Requena and the most extensive and well-founded of J. M. Luzón Nogué, who studies the pre-Islamic pieces that the mosque contains, except for those discovered in the most recent restorations.

With regard to the time of construction of the complex, it can be pointed out that the place has been a very significant population entity since the 1st century AD. C. The mosque must have been built in the first decades of the 10th century, according to the study of the mihrab. In February 1267 the fortress already existed, so its construction can be dated to times of Muslim domination. The Plaza de Toros was inaugurated in 1821 and reformed seventy years later. Read more…


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment