Castro del Río
Castro del Río
Castro del Río is situated to the southeast of the province of Cordoba, in La Campiña. The land is devoted to cereal farming and olive trees, in addition to the irrigated areas which are crossed by the river Guadajoz, to which it owes its name.
The village, an old Almohad fortress, which has preserved the remains of its walls, has a rich history as evidenced by the Roman bridge and the Iberian lion found at its end. Today it is a ”conjunto” or grouping that preserves the urban structure of its Arabic origin around the Iglesia de la Asuncion (Church of the Assumption).
The first inhabitants of Castro del Rio are to be found in prehistoric times. Studies of land demonstrate the intensity of their settlement and the benevolence of these from the Edad de los Metales (Age of Metals). Eneolíthic remains have been found, Iberian (fortified and ex-votos or votive offerings to God), Campanian and Greek pottery, Roman and Visigothic inscriptions, etc.
The village of Castro del Río – by J. A, Mizal, in a new study on the book “Paths of Al-Andalus in the twelfth century” by Al-Idrisi, was identified with the castle or Qasruh Qasira which was located on the road from Cordoba to Elvira.
The village was to be developed during the Islamic period, probably the walled “contruyéndose” within the territory of Cordoba and along in the border, in the twelfth century.
The first written text on Castro is around 1,236, while still in the hands of Muslims. In 1240 it was conquered by Ferdinand III through covenant or pact, beginning the reallocation of the lands.
Castro del Rio, formed in the early fourteenth century by the Castle, the town and a suburb outside the walls, was influenced by its border position and its location in the area of penetration from Cordoba to Granada through the valley of Guadajoz.
Castro had an intense religious life throughout the late Medieval age through to modern times, as is ably demonstrated by the enunciation of the extensive historical and artistic heritage. It was head of the archdeaconry of the countryside, enjoying an important economy. With the addition in 1565 the Marquis of Priego, Castro del Rio was subject to the jurisdiction of the manor, which has been maintained through to modern times.
The village of Castro del Rio suffered all the political and military vicissitudes that characterize the early history of nineteenth century provincial towns. The socio-economic reality facing Castro, along with the social conscience of its early proletarian group, strengthened the unquestioned dominance of the libertarian currents in the latter part of the nineteenth century and even much of the twentieth.
Since 1913, Castro del Rio became the “capital of Cordoba Unionism” in the words of Diaz del Moral. And from April 1915, in the FAN (National Farmers Federation) Castro held the umbrella for the entire region of Cordoba.
This relevance was to culminate in the celebration of the Anarcho-Syndicalist Congress of 1,918 and 1,919.
The socio-economic reality facing Castro, which we have mentioned, together with the above, was to have its consequences in the coming years. During the Civil War, the bloody reprisals and chastisements perpetrated by both sides paled the calmer consciousness: such was the degree of bitterness of mutual repression.
On 22 September 1936 the town became subject to La Zona Nacional.
Castro del Río Monuments
Parroquia de Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption (XIII).
Iglesia de Madre de Dios (Mother of God Church) 1430.
Convento de Scala Coeli, 1657.
Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de Carmen (Church of Our Lady of Carmen0 (XVII).
Colegio of San Acisclo and Santa Victoria ( XVIII).
Virgen de la Salud Chapel (XVII).
Iglesia de Jesus Nazarino (Church of Jesus of Nazareth) (XVIII). Containing a great wealth of sculptures, paintings and jewelry.
Roman remains. Remains of ancient Iberian sanctuary. Remains of ancient medieval fortress.
Triunfo de San Rafael (1762).
Roman bridge over the river Guadajoz.
Castro del Río Gastronomy
Embutidos (noting especially chorizos). Lamb stew. Fish “a la minuta”. Huevos (eggs) “a la bandera”. Stuffed Chicken Breasts. Pies. Rabbit stew. Albondigas (Meatballs). Lomo de Naranja (pork with orange)
Sweets: Roscos “de molde” and with wine. Suspiros. Butter cakes. Small cakes and chocolate almonds. Maimón cakes. Roscos de agua. Roscos de gaseosa. Roscos Blancos. Castillos de Nupciales (Wedding Cakes). Hornazos.
Out of Cordoba . At the roundabout take the 2nd exit Continue along the road towards Granada. Continue: N-432. Passing Santa Cruz. Turn left: A-309. Arrive at Castro del Rio.
Distances from Castro del Río
Espejo 8.5 km
Cordoba 43 km
Bujalance 30 km
Montilla A 22 km
Montemayor 25 km
Fernan Nunez 27 km
Nueva Carteya 14 km
Dona Mencia A 22 km