Cazorla, Sierras de Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas Natural Park
Cazorla is a “jienense o jiennese” town located to the south, and in the centre of the Natural Park, that is the biggest protected space in Spain: an orographical labyrinth of valleys, limestone quarries, cuts, mountains and high plateaus with a great hydrologic importance (because of the huge quantity of rivers and streams that flow from it); botanical (European Black Pine, Aleppo Pine and many endemic species); the wealth of the fauna, hunting and the landscape. From it we can observe that it is one of the most visited open spaces in the country
This beautiful tourist town is located in the shade of the Peña de los Halcones, with the mountain range at the back and a huge area of olive trees ahead; presenting a spectacular and incredible outlook. The Castle of La Yedra dominates the urban scheme of narrow streets with its traditional houses, manor houses and monuments, between we can emphasize the Castle of the Cinco Esquinas, the Town Hall, the Square of Santa María, the Church of S. Francisco, the Church of S. José and the House of the Siete Fuentes.
For some investigators this town was called Castaón, a town founded in 550 B.C.
During the Roman Age it was called Carcacena where its silver mines were exploited.
In the al-Andalus Period, it was built the castle and they gave the town the present design. It was a strong square due to its strategic situation.
The Christian conquest was carried out in 1235 by D. Rodrigo Ximénez de Rada, archbishop of Toledo. Fernando III gave it as a fee to the archbishop of Toledo with the name of Adelantamiento de Cazorla. The dominion will be kept until the abolition of the lordships at the beginning of XIX century.
Carlos I gave the governor of Cazorla to his secretary Francisco de los Cobos, that left to his heirs the marquis and marquise of Camarasa.
In 1606 it would pass again to the archbishop of Toledo due to a long lawsuit.
Regional Assembly of Cádiz gave it the title of town in 1813 because of its intervention in the Independence War.
* Monastery of Montesión.
* Palace of Las Cadenas.
* Town Council. In the past it was the convent of La Merced.
* Ancient Hospital.
* Church of San Francisco, XVII century. It belonged to the old Franciscan convent. Inside we can observe the image of the Cristo de la Consolación.
* Palace of La Vicaría.
* Hermitage of San Sebastián.
* San Miguel Arcángel Chapel
* Castle of La Yedra , from XI to XIII centuries. Arab castle. Inside it has been set up the Museo de Artes y Costumbres Populares del Alto Guadalquivir.
* Church of San José, XVI and XVII centuries.
* Bridge of La Herrería.
* Fountain of Las Cadenas.
* Square of Santa María. In it we can find the ruins of the church Santa María and the fountain of Las Cárdenas, both of them of a Renaissance style and from XVI century.
* House of Las Siete Fuentes.
* Viewpoint of Zabaleta.
Museum of Artes y Costumbres Populares del Alto Guadalquivir.
Casa Reyes. Architect: Isicio Ruiz Albusac.
Renaissance fountain of Yedra.
The cuisine in Cazorla has been sober. Our gastronomy is defined by the weather, with a plentiful and nice seasoning of spices and by the environment products: hunting, legumes, fresh vegetables, flours, river fishing…, all seasoned with the quality touch that contributes the excellent oil of our olive groves, an authentic treasure in all culinary art.
“La Gachamiga”, flour fried breadcrumbs, with “torreznos”, dried and fried peppers (pajarillos), chorizo, black pudding (morcilla), and even, depending on what time of the year, with melon, cherries, grapes and other fruits.
The “Talarines”, thin flat cakes of flour and salt, stewed with hare or rabbit, milk caps or “guiscanos” like they are called in this area, and with the aromatic touch of the mint. It is, undoubtedly, a model dish of the most traditional cuisine.
The “Ajoharina” or “Maimones” a simple dish with a great culinary interest, base don flour, garlic, peppers, potatoes, ripen tomatoes, paprika, water and salt.
It is very typical in this area the “Rin-ran” or “Ajo papa” a good starter in any table, and spread in the traditional “pan serrano”. The “Rin-ran” is a cold creamed potatoes and dried red peppers with olives and cod, spiced with cumin and other spices.
How to get there
It location made Cazorla accessible from many origins. Like this, the main axis is made up the motorway of Andalucía or N-IV (Madrid-Cádiz), which, across the N-322 (Córdoba – Valencia) connects the place with West Andalucía and the rest of the Communities. The entrance to Andalucía, from the North of Spain, is made by the Parque Natural de Despeñaperros, to continue until Bailén, where we take the N- 322, towards Linares and Úbeda until Torreperogil. In this point we take to the right the road A-315, towards Peal de Becerro, and from there via the Motorway A-319 until Cazorla.
The visitors who come from Almería and Granada, has another alternative; they can get here through the Motorway A-320 via Iznalloz and Guadahortuna to Jódar, and until Peal de Becerro (C-328), nad taking the (A-319) towards Cazorla.
If we want to Access from the Comunidad Valenciana the fastest route is the N-430, which lead us until Albacete, where we link with the N-322 towards Génave, Villacarrillo, Mogón, Santo Tomé and Cazorla.
Jaén 94 km
Úbeda 44 km
Baeza 53 km
Quesada 19 km
Sabiote 41 km
Stº Tomé 18 km
Torreperogil 36 km
Peal de Becerro 13 km