Conil de la Frontera – House of the Count of Las Cinco Torres
House of the Count of Las Cinco Torres
The House of the Count of Las Cinco Torres is located in C/Pascual Junquera (street), in Plaza Puerta de la Villa (square), in the Andalusian town of Conil de la Frontera.
The House of the Count of las Cinco Torres was constructed in 1779 by Don Sebastián Sánchez Franco, Count of Las Cinco Torres, a shipping merchant from Conil who traded goods imported from the Indies in the city of Cadiz.
The house was built as a summer residence following a fashion which was popular among the commercial bourgeoisie of the time. In baroque style, it is similar in appearance to the houses which are typical in Cadiz and includes a water cistern to collect water from the rain, a highly unusual feature in the town.
The house is locally known as “Casa del Peoro” (Peoro´s House), Peoro being the mock name given to Don Diego Muñoz Rodríguez, a wealthy estate owner who boutht it in 1859 from Don José Luis Feduchy y Martí, Count of Las Cinco Torres.