Coripe San Pedro Church
San Pedro Church – Saint Pedro Apostle
This Church with white facade and hospitable interior dating from 1859, has been restored recently (1998) thanks to the Archbishop of Seville, the City Hall of Coripe and the generous contributions of its parishioners.
Nevertheless it still preserves the Baroque cupola of the previous building and the ancient chapel of El Carmen, nowadays converted into Sagrario.
On the inside the images of Holy María of Los Dolores, Our Father Nazarene Jesus, the Virgin of Fátima, Sacred Heart, María Auxiliadora and the Christ of the Good Death show up, without forgetting those of the patron saints of the village: the Virgin of La Inmaculada and Saint Pedro Apostle.
It consists of a single rectangular nave. Externally, the Church of San Pedro has a very simple style portal that is located at the foot of the nave. The nave is supported by transverse arches and the Sagrario chapel is covered by a dome on pendentives from the end of the 18th century, which is the only thing that remains of the previous building. The primitive chapel contains a small altarpiece which housed a Sacred Heart that is currently in the Brotherhood House of the Great Power brotherhood. Said altarpiece encloses the Virgin of Fátima since the 70s when she moved to the temple on a pilgrimage. The chapel is covered with a barrel vault and a dome with a lantern opening with a pointed arch in the Gothic style. The only nave of the church has a temple with an image of Saint Peter at its head, which has replaced an old one with a seated composition. Next to it is a Crucified called the Christ of the Good Death. There are also the Virgen de los Dolores and Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno. The nave, at its feet, opens with an arcade of three recent Gothic pointed arches. To her right, Heart of Jesus and to her left, Immaculate. Read more…