Coripe is located in the Sierra de Algodonales, at the confluence of the river Arroyo Guadalporcún with the river Guadalete. It lies on the border of the provinces of Sevilla and Cádiz.
Apparently, the origin of Coripe goes back to the original Irippe founded by the Turduli between the VI and the IV century BC, the direct heirs of the Tartessian town. We can still find some of the coins of that time in the Archaeological Museum of Sevilla.
The Romans are the ones who changed the name to be renamed thereafter Coripo from which it derives its name.
It was near the limit of the country between the Christian kingdom and the kingdom of Granada. Of the Muslim presence in this area we can highlight the defensive tower built between the IX and XI centuries, of which the foundations are preserved in the Sierra de Coripe and a funeral in stone.
After the Reconquest it is added to Morón de la Frontera, which is administratively attached to the end of the IX century, when it was incorporated in independent City Council and given it the title of Villa by royal decree on April 26, 1894. His shield dates from 1983 having as the main figure a prancing horse.
In 1927 began one of the most important works undertaken by the government of Primo de Rivera, that was building a rail link which sought to unite Jerez-Almargen. In this way, would be reported by Western and Eastern rail Andalusia. This work was practically finished in 1930 but with the fall of the dictatorship the project fell into oblivion and never worked. In the work involved more than 1000 men from the villages of the province and neighbouring and even Portuguese emigrants.
Nowadays Coripe maintains a privileged natural environment that make it unique with its by-products of the orchard, olive grove and the mountains.
The main heritage of Coripe currently resides in its unique natural environment, characterized by the mountain landscape that surrounds it. We can highlight the spectacular nature of some of its elements as the Rock of Zaframagón declared a nature reserve by Royal Decree 461/2000 of 26 December. It stands the prominent and steep rock, 1 square kilometre at the base and 584 metres and an area of 135 hectares (protection zone of 311 hectares) The vegetation is a Mediterranean forest in a thicket of wild olive, myrtle, arbutus, labiémagos, mastic trees and thickets, some oaks are isolated. The importance of this place lies in hosting the largest colony of griffon vultures in Andalusia, with 90 breeding pairs. There are also present owls, tawny owl, eagle, peregrine falcons, and there are many jackdaws. Among the mammals we can include foxes, otters, badgers, weasels and genets. Guadalporcún River has carved a deep canyon known as “El Estrechón”, on whose shores we find the typical bank vegetation.
Church of San Pedro Apóstol
Remains of the Castillo in la Sierra de Coripe
Among the recommended dishes we could mention the esparragá de tagarninas and the puchero con tagarninas as well as all kinds of dishes with meat and game (rabbit, pellets) and sausages (chorizo, blood sausage,…) made in this locality. With regard to confectionery we have to mention the hornazos, roscos de vino, pestiños and polvorones.
How to get there
You have to exit Sevilla and take the A-376, alleyway of Montequinto and pass near Utrera. Take the A-361 to Montellano, cross the village and take the SE-446 until you get Coripe.
To Morón de la Frontera 22 km
To Montellano 16 km
To Utrera 48 km
To Sevilla 80 km
To Ronda 56 km
To Algodonales 22 km
To Zahara 28 km
To Olvera 39 km
To Pruna 49 km
Chaparro de la Vega
The “Chaparro de la Vega”, that is a specimen of oak whose trunk reaches 1.20 metres in diameter, the cup has a diameter of approximately 30 metres and 13 metres high, it stands out for its well preserved and spectacular in a beautiful setting of great natural and scenic value.
This up more than 700 years was declared a Natural Monument of Andalusia in Decree 226/2001 of 2 October (BOJA 135, November 22, 2001).
The tree is located in a recreational area equipped with games, benches and barbecues. This is a very popular place for locals, hosting the Coripe Pilgrimage in honour of the Virgen de Fátima. The surrounding vegetation consists of open stands of oak forests with an undergrowth of Mediterranean scrub. The holm oak is a tree that spans the Mediterranean region. It is the most characteristic of Spain and has wood and more firewood that was used in Spain for charcoal, giving a premium product due to its high heat output.
You can access to Chaparro de la Vega through the old abandoned railroad track, which is reached by the C-339 that connects Coripe with Algodonales.