Cortes de la Frontera – Small Village of La Sauceda
Small Village of La Sauceda
The small villaje of La Sauceda is still today a very good example of the thousand – years – old system of farming and forest explitation of the first settlers in these lands. The houses, which at some time held more than one thousand people, are spread all over the territory, associated to two main groups; on the them around the Ermita (chapel) and other close to the Laguna del Moral (Lake of the Moral).
The base of the system is the main house of the family core, generally of a squared ground plan and built with the resources of the environment; sandstone, clay, wood, heather, cork and lime. Annexed to this building we found the chozo (small hut), which was occasionally used as kitchen, the oven for bread, the enclosures and stable for the cattle and the vegetable gardens which were delimited by stone walls or bardos. Besides the houses, there were other singular buildings like the mills for flour, the cemetery, the chapel – school and the Major´s house, still recognizable today.
As it is concerned with a territory which was a frontier between the Nazari Reign of Granada and the Crown of Castilla, the history is mixed with legend, being assigned to La Sauceda the role as shelter of bandits that did not always square with realty. The recent history of La Sauceda ends with the bombardment and occupation of the small village at the beginning of November 1936 and finally it was abandoned. The reconstruction of some of its houses and its new activity devoted to rural accommodation is made in the last quarter of the 20th century, and in the year 1989 the territory is protected as part of the Nature Reserve of Los Alcornocales.
La Sauceda Cemetery