El Campillo, Andévalo Region
The village of El Campillo belongs to the region of Andévalo, located in the mining area in the mountains with copses of pines and eucalyptus trees in a landscape of gentler hills and farmland on which predominantly cereal crops are grown.
Points of interest are the Parish Church with the curious facade, the Dolmen de la Catalina, the Canadas Escoriales of the Adelphi and the Necropolis of Moraña.
The birth of El Campillo as the main town with its houses and livestock can be traced to around 1650. Monte del Campillo, as shown in the documents of the time, was a village that reported a low income as opposed to its wealthier status in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
The fact that the village had no wealth is evidenced by the fact that there was no parish priest; this was common in villages where a priest could not make a comfortable living.
From around 1760 El Campillo had nearly a hundred people. During this year reference is made to the Village-Traslasierra, a dependent on the municipality with little more than ten people, in El Campillo.
With the arrival of the British to the Rio Tinto mines, who exploited the rich copper lodes, the people of El Campillo population suffered because there jobs were taken by other miners seeking wages.
With the arrival of miners the physiognomy of the village economy is radically transformed, and the people became strictly agricultural-livestock people along with some primitive mining. Over time, this second activity supplanted farming until mining became the main economy of the area, resulting in the loss of farming skills that were once the people primary activity.
The arrival of these miners also resulted in settlements that grew alongside the existing farmsteads, and these circumstances resulted in the existing definition of El Campillo Viejo (farmstead) and The New Campillo (new mining settlements), although there was a slow process of integration and unity that strengthened both communities.
The mining settlements that remain are different in layout to the original village in that they were typically English, just the opposite of the typical Spanish village, which consists of entirely irregular streets.
El Campillo Monuments
Dolmen de la Cantina
English-style street circuit.
El Campillo Gastronomy
The most characteristic feature is the gurumelo mushroom that is very popular in the region, and which only occurs in a particular time of year. Roasts are produced of scrambled eggs and tortilla). Enzapatadas beans.
Exit Huelva to San Juan del Puerto – Trigueros – Sierra. Fregenal, around San Juan del Puerto, turn right: N-435 heading to Trigueros.
Through Trigueros, passing close to Valverde del Camino and Zalamea la Real. Turn right: A-461 and proceed to the town.
Nerva 8.5 km
Sevilla 88 km
Huelva 71 km
Aracena 36 km
Trigueros 49 km
Zalamea la Real 4 km
Higuera de la Sierra 31 km
Valverde del Camino 22 km
Search in Villages
Alquiler de coches en Málaga
- Código ANR23 - 5% Descuento
- Reserva sin tarjeta de crédito
- Servicio de alquler de coches 24/7
- Traslado gratuito aeropuerto ⇄ oficina
- Pago al llegar
- Vehículos nuevos
- Sin extras ocultos
- Ofertas exclusivas en mostrador