Located near the Guadiana River, in the west of the province, El Granado belongs to Andévalo and the jurisdiction of Ayamonte. The landscape consists of farmland, forest and pastures, one of the most outstanding of which is the Presa de la Chanza , one of the largest in the province, and characteristic of this landscape.
Within the town centre you can find the parish church and the Hermitage of the Santísima Trinidad.
Clear evidence exists which suggests the presence of man during prehistoric times. The areas known today as “Carabisaltos”, “Carabisbajos” and “Aguzaderas” are littered with burial chambers beneath the olive trees. The tombs are in groups of four and six, rectangular in shape, and easy to locate being built with large stones embedded in the ground.
These excavations have uncovered stone knives, sealed clay pots, copper and ceramic tools, etc. This data leads us to talk about dolmen, built with flat stones, from the third millennium BC.
Moving forward in time, it has traditionally been associated with “la Praesidio”, the first Roman village on the Antonine Itinerary, which connected the mouth of the Guadiana River with Merida. However, recent research suggests that this village was located in the current municipality of Sanlucar de Guadiana. In any case, the presence of the remains of a road leading to Cerro de la Divisa, in Cabezas Rubias, confirms the presence of the Romans in this area.
During the Muslim period it was under the jurisdiction of the cora de Beja. The most likely origin of this town seems to be the concession of privileges to the estate of Gibraleón, which is known as one of the oldest in the Western zone of the Kingdom of Seville, and was donated by D. Fernando IV, together with Royal and other estates, to the Infante Alfonso de la Cerda, in exchange for his renunciation of the right to the throne.
El Granado was consolidated definitively in 1547, when doña Mª Teresa de Zúñiga, Duchess of Bejar and Marquise of Gibraleón donated the meadowlands of Boyal and Veras, including a place known as “El Guijarrillo”, to be worked with the neighboring town of Sanlúcar de Guadiana, which gave rise to “the second repopulation”.
The consolidation of El Granado brought about the appearance of the first artistic/religious buildings in the village, one of which is the Parish Church in honour of Santa Catalina and, due to the increase in population, the Hermitage of the Santisima Trinidad was built in the fifteenth century, in Gothic Mudejar style.
The low fertility of the land meant that the population dedicated itself to the marginal farming of cereals, vineyards and orange trees. In the nineteenth century economic life underwent a major change due to the exploitation of the manganese mine of Santa Catalina and the construction of the port of La Laja where they brought by rail manganese ore and other minerals from the mines of La Herrería, at the edge of the municipality of Puebla de Guzmán.
All this economic change disappeared in the mining crisis during the years 1950-1960, when they turned back to agriculture which produced a rural exodus that would reduce the population by half.
El Granado Monuments
Parish Church of Santa Catalina, fifteenth century.
Church of the Santisima Trinidad. Gothic-Mudéjar style.
Dock for minerals in the port of la Laja.
El Granado Gastronomy
Migas. Arroz con turma. Habas enzapatadas. Caldereta de borrego.
Leave Huelva in the direction of Gibraleón . Once past Gibraleón continue to San Bartolome de la Torre, and once you have passed through the town take the A-490. In Villanueva de los Castillejos, turn left onto the A-499. At the roundabout take the 2nd exit and continue on the HV-2121 to El Granado.
Distances from El Granado
Huelva 61 km
Alosno 33 km
Los Millares 26 km
El Almendro 16 km
Puebla de Guzmán 28 km
San Silvestre de Guzmán 25 km
Villanueva de los Castillejos 15 km