The village of El Ronquillo is located in the north-western area of the province of Sevilla, being adjacent to the one of Huelva. It is located in the foothills of Sierra Morena in its descent into the valley of the Guadalquivir. In 1996 it had a population of 1,419 inhabitants.
The village is crossed from north to south along the road N-630 (Sevilla-Mérida), which functions as the guiding principle of the locality. The western area of the crossing is slightly larger than the East, but it starts a certain development in the direction of the cemetery and along the road leading to the reservoir of Cala. Most of the urban fabric is composed of irregular blocks. In the south-western sector, near the road, there is a small area of detached villas.
The town emerged in the XVI century around the Venta del Ronco, which was located in what nowadays is the Plaza de la Constitution.
The original village belonged, as smaller local authority, the jurisdiction of Santa Olalla del Cala de Huelva.
It was destroyed and rebuilt during the War of Independence.
In 1808 the ruler of El Ronquillo killed a French mail that carried important plans for the development of the war. This event made him gained the title of town in 1820 that could become independent from Santa Olalla del Cala.
El Ronquillo Monuments
Church of El Divino Salvador
Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de Gracia
Embutidos. Queso. Sopa de picadillo. Gazpacho. Perdiz en salsa. Guiso de mollejas. Pestorejo. Manitas de cerdo. Conejo con tomate. Codornices con tomate. Gurumelos revueltos con huevo. Carnes de caza.
Sweets: Perrunillas. Miel. Pestiños. Roscos. Buñuelos. Torrijas.
How to get there
– From Sevilla by the N-630.
– From Extremadura and Portugal by N-630
Zufre 38 km
Sevilla 46 km
Guillena 32 km
El Garrobo 15 km
El Real de la Jara 31 km
Almadén de la Plata 23 km
El Castillo de las Guardas 32 km
Castilblanco de los Arroyos 23 km