Gádor – Sierra de Gádor – Almería
The Municipality of Gador is located in the geographic area of southeast Spain, within the province of Almeria, 14.9 Km far from its capital. It is approximately between Santa Fe de Mondújar to the north, Benahadux to the south, Tabernas and Rioja to the east, and Enix to the west. The area is crossed by the rivers Andarax and Almanzora, these being the most important rivers in the area. The Andarax rises in the Alpujarra and flows through Gador on the way to the Mediterranean. Gador is a high inland village, with an average altitude of 173 metres,and is at the foot of the Sierra de Gador. It is of Arab origion, although the name dates back to Phoenician/Iberian times. The area has a wonderful landscape, with farming valleys full of orange groves.
There is an important Neolithic site in the town of Los Millares, with megaliths from the third millennium BC with tombs and ruins of the III millenium having been found near Argaric Huecha and Ciscarejo. Remains of the Roman and Byzantine eras have been discovered, showing very early settlement here.
During the period of Al-Andalus Aljama had a mosque, and a system of irrigation, which is still in use, was established and used for agriculture and milling, and even for the use of a blacksmith.
With the Christian conquest the population was 160 inhabitants, mostly Moors. With the Moorish uprising and their subsequent expulsion, Gador became virtually depopulated, but was repopulated by Old Christians in latter years, following the expulsion of 1570.
During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the population was consolidated in a new *barranco* or large valley, and it is there that the town remains today.
In the nineteenth century there was a break the traditional agrarian economy, with production of oil and silk, to grow instead only Ohanes grapes, these were later replaced by oranges. Mining development caused a major transformation in this century, Gador mainly mining sulphur. These activities left an interesting landscape of industrial archeology. The mining activity has been replaced by the manufacture of cement in Jalvo.
Parish Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario
Made in times of transition, mixing the baroque and neoclassic. Its elevated situation makes it visible from all over the valley.
Ermita de la Santa Cruz, 1965. (convent)
Built by popular subscription to replace the one demolished years ago.
Monument to the Immaculate Conception. Built in white marble, by Macael, in 1952.
El Castillejo, ninth and tenth centuries.
Caliphate. This tower protected the Mondújar village and the valley entrance.
Torre de Don Alonso.
Today this is a magnificent palace of spacious rooms and magnificent gardens. The basement is below the original construction. This tower together with the Caliphate were the key to the Kingdom of Almeria.
Tower *Las Doblas*.
Gádor Archaeological Sites
Quinciliana remains, fourth century AD
Remains of Roman and Byzantine periods, two fragments of the statue of the Good Shepherd Quinciliana.
Moscolú numismatic treasure, era of Antoninus Pius.
Huesca and Ciscarejo, the third millennium BC
Argaric graves and ruins.
Arab necropolis. (Graveyard)
In the districts of Palencar, Quinciliana, Jalcagarín.
Cave houses. There is an interesting folk architecture cave, showing an environment of oasis and desert.
Migas (breadcrumbs with meat). Pipirrana. Choto with garlic. Rabbit with garlic.
Sweets: Borrachillos. Papaviejos. Fried milk puddings. Candelaria Tarts. Hornazos.
Fig bread. Fried tuna dumplings.
Exit Almeria Almeria/ Huércal direction, continue on highway 340. Follow direction: Almería – E-15 – N-340 – Nijar – Murcia. At the roundabout, take exit 1 Continue: A-92A in the direction: A-92 – Benahadux – Guadix. Continue along: A-92A, follow signs to Benahadux. Exit and continue until Gádor Benahadux.
Distances from Gádor
Benahadux 5.5 km
Alhama de Almería 9km
Pechina 7.5 km
Huércal Almeria 11km