The town of Gelves is located at 3.5 km to the south of Sevilla, and is set in an amphitheatre form on the slope of a hill that serves as a stepping stone to Aljarafe. It borders on the north by San Juan de Aznalfarache, the east by the Guadalquivir, south of Palomares del Río and west Mairena del Aljarafe. It has a total area of 8.2 km2.
The oldest settlements date from the Lower Palaeolithic.
Its origins are not very clear, for some it was the former Vergentum or Lujii Genius, cited by Plinio, for others the Turdetan city of Gelduba.
During the period of Al-Andalus it was called Gel-bal.
The Christian conquest was carried out in 1247 by the Order of Santiago. Gelves was destroyed by the troops of the master Palay. The financial support that people gave to the Catholic Monarchs for both the conquest of the kingdom of Granada to the discovery of America made its having a great importance at this time.
In 1527, per authority granted by Charles I, Gelves is sold to D. Jorge de Portugal, first Earl of Gelves and master of Villanueva del Ariscal. In the XVIII century, under the jurisdiction of the Dukes of Veragua, it acquired a considerable social significance thanks to its waters and its landscape.
In the XX century, the title of Count of Gelves went into the house of Alba. In 1974 they began to sell land to the settlers.
Many literary works refers to the villa, such as: “El Guzmán de Alfarache”, “El Diablo Cojuelo” and” D. Álvaro o la fuerza del sino”, among others.
Church of Santa María de Gracia
Hacienda “San Ignacio de Torrequemada”
Monument to Joselito “El Gallo”
The traditional agricultural character of the local economy has led to the popular cooking, as in other parts of the province of Andalucía that has been supported by a single hot plate, usually boiled or porridge. However, its garden products, with high quality and variety of the large amount of water that characterizes its plain, have amply supplemented with fruits and vegetables the diet of its inhabitants. If we add its proximity to Sevilla and the ability to access the culinary variety of both meat and fish that provides the capital of Andalucía, we will find a varied diet rich in traditional cuisine of the municipality.
Beyond this, Gelves has a stew that has become part of everyday dishes in many of our homes, but original in this town: the cascote. Peas (beans) accompanied by garlic, rancid bacon, chopped chorizo, pepper and a little bay up the stew, later supplemented by a sauce of onions, peppers and tomatoes and finally rice. The dish, served after a few minutes of rest, supports a dash of vinegar to taste. Other traditional dishes of this area are also the Ajo Molinero and in confectionery, cupcakes to ajolí or “to the Castita”, homemade pestiños (with a touch of brandy dry) and French toast in Salmuera.
How to get there
From Seville take the Highway SE 660 towards Coria del Río.
Distances from Gelves
Brenes 31 km
Sevilla 8,5 km
Carmona 43 km
Alcalá del Río 26 km
La Rinconada 28 km
Coria del Río 6,5 km
Mairena del Aljarafe 8,5 km