Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Villages in Granada

Guadahortuna

Villages in Granada

Guadahortuna, Montes Orientales Region

Guadahortuna lies on the banks of the river of the same name, on the border of the province of Jaén, the approach road running close to the Natural Park of Sierra Mágina. This is a town of singular and unique beauty amid vast tracts of fertile farmland.

The municipality has an area of 120 km ², is bordered to the north by the province of Jaen, to the east by the town of Alamedilla, to the south by Torre Cardela and Píñar and to the west by Montejícar and Iznalloz.

The river Guadahortuna rises in the municipality of Montejícar. It runs from west to east through the villages of Montejicar, Guadahortuna, Alamedilla, Alicún de Ortega, Dehesas de Guadix and flows into the river Guadiana Menor, having flowed some fifty-two kilometres from its source.

From the Visigoth period, but without documented confirmation, archaeological remains have been found in the cortijo de Hacho, which are thought to have belonged to a chapel or convent, V to VII centuries.

During the Muslim period (eighth to the fifteenth century), Arab settlements were numerous, especially in areas near the river, starting with a Berber settlement, later settled by the almojares, finally becoming part of the Nazari Kingdom.

The town and lands were given over to the Catholic Monarchs in 1486. Guadahortuna in 1492 was but a little populated region in the municipality of Pinar.

Guadahortuna formed part of the so-called “Seven Villages” and with its important economic role it came to enjoy tax exemptions. Las Siete Villas (Colomera Guadahortuna, Íllora, Iznalloz, Moclín Montefrío and Montejícar) were required to sell their products (wheat, oil and meat) exclusively to the capital.

During the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the town played an important role in the glass industry.

Guadahortuna Monuments

Iglesia Parroquial de Santa Maria la Mayor (Church of Santa Maria)
Nuestra Senora de Loreto Chapel
Ermita del Cortijo de Dona Marina (Chapel of Doña Marina)
Ermita del Cortijo Navazuelos
Presa del Cortijo Zamarrón (dam)
Puente del Hacho (bridge)

Gastronomy

‘Olla Gitano’, leche frito, pickled partridge, Semana Santa casserole, (prepared at Easter) Noche Buenos, Magdalenas etc. (small sweet cakes)

Directions

Leaving Granada. Continue along: E-902 / A-44 heading to Armidale – Motril. Pass near Maracena – Peligros, Albolote. Take the exit: Exit 97 – Iznalloz – A-92
Almeria – Guadix. Follow directions Almería – Iznalloz – Guadix. Continue along: A-308. Pass Iznalloz. Turn Left: A-323, pass El Navazuelo and arrive at Guadahortuna.

Distances

Arbuniel 21km
Huelma 15 km
Granada 60 km
Montejícar 10 km
Gobernador 13 km
Torre Cardela 7.5 km
El Navazuelos 4.5 km
Villacampa del Moral 12 km


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment