Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Guadix Monuments

Guadix – Villalegre Palace

Guadix Monuments

Guadix – Villalegre Palace

The Villalegre Palace is located in C/ Santa María del Buen Aire 8 (street), near the Diócesis de Guadix and the impressive Cathedral, in the monumental center of the city of Guadix, Granada province.

This imposing monumental building belonged to one of the noblest families to appear in Guadix following the capture of the city from the Moors. They were later united with the Minchaca family. The site was once occupied by an old Nazarí palace, and the present building was erected during the 16th century. Its primarily monumental purpose is manifest in its imposing façade of brickwork on an ashlar stone base.

The façade is flanked by two large towers, typical of Guadix architecture, with eight-sided pillars and semicircular arches with their characteristic alfiz style frame and supports. The ceramic pitchers with embedded crosses are also a sign of ancient tradition. The walls of the other three facades are more typical structures of brick-lined panelling. The flat topped doorway and the huge coats-of-arms and balcony carved in stone give the palace an appropriate air of aristocratic dignity; the door lintel bears the date 1592.

The interior is arranged around a courtyard with thin marble columns supporting a double gallery of brick arches. The capitels are decorated with heraldic devices. The sections of arches opposite the entrance and on the right hand side are of recent construction. The rooms and staircase have finely carved and coffered ceilings on the upper floor, the ceiling frame above the staircase being of particular interest.

Villalegre Palace - Guadix


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment