Guillena is situated in the northwest quadrant of the province of Seville, in the transitional space between the Vega del Guadalquivir and the foothills of Sierra Morena. Limits with El Ronquillo, Castilblanco de los Arroyos, Salteras, La Algaba, Burguillos, Alcalá del Río, Gerena, El Algarrobo y El Castillo de las Guardas.
In 1996 it had a population of 8281 inhabitants, of which approximately 4/5 lived in the main population centre. The remaining population centres of the municipality are Torre de la Reina, the village of Las Pajanosas and urbanization Lago del Serrano. The principal part of the municipality sits on a gentle hill, which slopes eastward to descend to the bed of the Rivera de Huelva and to the west towards Arroyo Galapagar.
Megalithic remains such as the “Puerto de los Entierros” and the “Dehesa de las Canteras” prove the presence of settlers in the area since prehistoric times. It became an urban entity in the time of the Romans, who gave it its name. Also to be found were vestiges of the Visigoths. The through road called “Camino de la Plata (silver road)” links the north and south of Spain in the west.
During Muslim rule Guillena became important strategically and went from farm to “fortified place”, because, thanks to its situation, it was critical to the defense of Seville.
In 1247, it was conquered by Fernando III, who allowed the Moors to remain in the village. By privilege of Sancho IV it was elevated to “villa” in the year 1286.
In the seventeenth century it was acquired by Don Pedro Afan de Rivera, who became “Senorio de Guillena”
Plaza de Toros (Bullring)
Cortijo de Torre de la Reina
Iglesia Parroquial (Parish Church)
Out of Seville. In the outskirts of Camas, turn right: E-803 / A-66 / IS-30 heading to airport – all directions – Merida – Cordoba – SE-30 – E-803 – N-630 – E-5 A-4. Take the N-630, passing Camas and Santiponce. Take the A-460 to Guillena.
Distances from Guillena
Sevilla 21 km
Brenes 24 km
La Algaba 14 km
Cantillana 26 km
El Garrobo 24 km
Alcalá del Río 10 km
Castilblanco de Los Arroyos 23 km