Situated along the lower reaches of the river Genil, the town of Huetor Tajar sits on a vast plain, among the most fertile and fruitful lands in Andalusia, and has been well known from time immemorial. The whitewashed houses of the town stand out among the rich greenery of its orchards.
Huetor Tajar is bordered to the north and east by the municipality of Loja, to the south by Salar, and to the west by Moraleda de Zafayona and Villanueva Mesia. The township is crossed lengthwise from east to west by the river Genil, from north to south by the rivers of Vilanos, Guantero del Pino, and Algararejo and Amarguillos, the river Cacin and several ravines and gullies.
Huétor Tájar was known as the old “Moorish Alcaria or place” and called Quariyat Tayara, overlooked by the high tower of the fortified castle, which still exists, though now surrounded by houses. The town of Tájar Huétor is actually the result of the merger of two separate population centres, in late fifteenth century.
In Roman times there was a population centre called Vecis Farentino, (fertile land) which name would later be assimilated into the toponym Wata, to eventually become Huétor. The Arabs built a tower and castle, called Cueto, in which has been found amphorae,(large ceramic vessels used for carrying oil), coins and various cooking utensils.
Tájar, to the contrary, has been mentioned by Ibn al-Khatib as Tayarat, Taxara or Tahara, which would later become the current Tájar. The reconquest was a bad time for Tahara, twice conquered and destroyed by the Spaniards.
King Don Fernando took and razed Huetor in 1482, the same year he took Alhama, and 1483 was the year in which both villages, Huétor and Tajar joined to become one town. When Don Alvaro de Luna took possession of the tower and houses of Tahara, together with the inhabitants, he made a contract with all the peoples of the town.
In 1526, Charles I granted the title of ‘Villa’ to Cueto Tahara, making Don Álvaro de Luna mayor and keeper of the castle. The most important time in the eighteenth century saw the rebellion of the people against the administrators of the manor, calling for his resignation.
The Muslim heritage in the Vega left a great agricultural wealth supported by the irrigation system which, in many places, remains almost intact to this day.
To date, Huetor Tajaron has little unused or uncultivated wasteland, where previously the growing of mulberry trees and silk production, (then a major Mediterranean practice), now has been given over to the growing of asparagus, which has a ‘denomination of origin’ in the name of the town, originating from the purple green variety grown here, and making Huétor Tájar a town with a future.
Huétor Tájar Monuments
Ruins of the fortress of Tahara.
Iglesia Parroquial de Santa Isabel (Parish Church of Santa Isabel)
Huétor Tájar is famous for its green asparagus, the undoubted leader of the gastronomy of the town, for the unsurpassed quality of the orchards. It can be prepared in so many different ways, in omelets, in scrambled eggs, grilled, in soup, in sauces and with almonds. To see this delicious fruit freshly picked, you can visit one of the cooperatives that produce it.
Leaving Granada. Continue along: E-902 / A-44 heading to Armidale – Motril. Take the exit towards: Exit 125, A-92G, Malaga – Sevilla – N-432 – Cordoba – Airport. At the roundabout, take exit 3 Continue along: A-92G in the direction: N-432, Córdoba – Málaga – Sevilla – Airport. Pass Jardines del Caballo Blanco and Santa Fe Airport Follow signs. Keep going towards Malaga and Sevilla. Pass near Fuensanta and Loreto. Take the exit towards: Exit 203 – Huétor – Tájar. Continue: GR-NO-16. Pass Venta Nueva and follow signs to Huétor Tájar.
Distances from Huétor Tájar
Loja 15 km
Salar 12 km
Loreto 12 km
Granada 45 km
Trasmulas 19 km
Fuensanta 15 km
Moraleda de Zafayona 11 km
Ventorros de San José 30 km
Mesia Villanueva de Mesia 5.5 km