Jerez de la Frontera – Old Town Hall
Old Town Hall
The Old Town Hall is located in the Asunción Square, next to San Dionisio Church in the locality of Jerez de la Frontera, was built in 1575, during the rein of Felipe II, by the prestigious Old Masters of the city Andrés Ribera, Diego Martín de Oliva and Bartolomé Sanchéz.
Decorative elements are seen to be distributed in two mains areas upon a spectacular Renaissance façade, rich in icons and recognised as one of the best local examples of the Renaissance period.
Standing out from the harmonious whole and framing the main entrance to the Town Hall stand the two figures of Julius Caesar and Hercules, flanked by the cardinal virtues in reference to the merits which should characterize the counsellors within.
Old Town Hall features
The Old Cabildo house was built between 1569 and 1575 in martelilla stone, and is the most representative civil work of the Jerez Renaissance. Several authors participated in it. The main part is a rectangular room covered by a coffered barrel vault, decorated with projecting geometric motifs and divided into four spaces by transverse arches that rest on the cornice and rest on Renaissance capitals. This room was made by Diego Martin de Oliva between 1569 and 1571.
The antechabildo overlooks the main façade and is covered by three sections of very flat, coffered vaults, decorated on their fronts by two royal coats of arms of Spain and on the sides two others of the city, supported respectively by lions and cherubs. This room, together with the façade, was built by Andrés de Ribera and Bartolomé Sánchez between 15710 and 1575.
Its facade consists of two parts, to the left is the “loggia” portico, supported by marble columns with Renaissance Corinthian capitals, and to the right the main facade itself, divided into three spaces by eight paired half columns, fluted, of Corinthian capitals and standing out on a base decorated with cartouches.
The central space is occupied by the main door with a lintel, adorned around it with various warlike motifs, topped by the city’s coat of arms. The other two parts of the façade are occupied by two windows, finished by pediments, above which the sculptures of Julius Caesar and Hercules are in niches. On the cornices of these pediments sit the high-reliefs of the four cardinal virtues, finally finishing the construction with a balustrade bearing the coat of arms of Philip II.
The halt is a double colonnaded portico made up of three semicircular arches on white marble columns and was made by Martín Delgado in 1610. Read more…