Jerez de la Frontera – San Juan de los Caballeros Church
San Juan de los Caballeros Church
This church is one of the six historic parishes created by King Alfonso X El Sabio after his reconquest of the city in 1264.
The Church of San Juan de los Caballeros has a single large nave that obeys three axes, corresponding to as many periods of its construction.
The apse has seven sides, the ribs being flanked by the typical sawtooth decoration and resting on columns whose capitals remind us of early Gothic times. The remaining parts date back to the late Gothic period and the 16th century, respectively.
Externally, the portals are of relative artistic interest, the main one being finished off with a tower body. Of the other two portals, the most notable is that of the Gospel, a work from the second half of the 16th century.
The Chapel of the Jura, located on the Gospel side, and covered by a starry vault on tubes, is of artistic and historical interest. The great architect Hernán Ruiz II took part in the construction of the Church. This architectural work belongs to the Flamboyant Gothic, is listed as an Asset of Cultural Interest and was inaugurated in 1591.