Jerez de la Frontera – Santo Domingo Convent
Santo Domingo Convent
The mere fact that the Dominican Order was founded in 1264, the same year in which Jerez was conquered by the Christian King Alfonso 10, is by itself enough to indicate the strong historical links of the order with the city.
This impressive church has a Gothic main nave, built between the 15 and 16 Centuries, to which a perpendicular nave was later added in the 17 Century.
The convent also possesses a Gothic cloister of great interest and beauty. All in all a monument of great artistic merit intimately linked with the history of Jerez.
Two entrance doors give access to the interior of the church: the original nave, which was never finished, and the Rosario nave, baroque, which opens onto the Alameda Cristina. The main nave, with a Gothic ribbed vault, has an interesting Mudejar decoration of saw teeth on its ribs, which rest on clusters of muqarnas and nail heads on imposts. The convent has a Gothic cloister of great beauty and interest.
The church has a single nave, but towards its mediation on the Gospel side, a large pointed arch with an exterior archivolt decorated with interlocking arches, gives entrance to another built later, thus forming a “T” floor plan.
The main nave will be divided into two sections for easy knowledge. A first one that occupies almost the entirety, in Mudejar style and consists of three parts that are divided into sections formed by ribbed vaults, spine and whose ribs are decorated by the typical saw teeth. The last part of the nave is covered by two sections of Gothic vault from the third period. Read more…