Laujar de Andarax
Laujar de Andarax – Sierra Nevada
Laujar de Andarax is located at the foot of Sierra Nevada and opposite the one of Gádor. Part of his municipal area is included in the Natural Park Sierra Nevada, one of the natural paradise of the community, because of its rich landscape, flora, fauna and anthropology. Another part of its lands is devoted to the agriculture of gardens, and it is the only area where it is produced grapes for wine, throughout the province. But the most characteristic of this county is the abundance of water, as between many other fountains, here begins the river Andarax.
The town, capital of the Alpujarra, belongs to this region and preserves the architectural, gastronomic and customs essence that have been released it, making it an ideal place to practice the so-called rural tourism and to visit their magnificent Church of La Encarnación, called La Catedral de la Alpujarra, Mudejar building with baroque termination of extraordinary dimensions and very well preserved.
It is known remains of the Roman presence in Láujar de Andarax, but its glory was reached in the Moorish time, being Laujar de Andarax the last residence in the Iberian peninsula of Boabdil and his uncle Al Zagal before heading to Africa after their expulsion by part of the Catholic Monarchs. During the rebellion of the Moors [1560 – 1570] it was chosen as leader of the Moors in Laujar to Aben Humeya, after this uprising their mosque was burned with Muslims inside it, leaving as a sign of what has happened the present Aljibe de los Mártires.
Laujar has been famous for centuries due to its agricultural activities (cereals, vines, vegetables, olives, mulberry trees and fruits), its livestock activities (sheep and ploughing), and industrial activities (mining, oil mills, flour mills, manufactures dyes, looms and fulling machines). It is the land of the famous writer Francisco Villaespesa [1877 – 1936]. It is nowadays the key centre of the Alto Andarax and its most booming industry is the wine industry.
Laujar de Andarax Monuments
Church of La Encarnación, XVII century. Mudejar style. It was built over the foundations of a mosque. Inside it has a Inmaculada from the Alonso Cano’s workshop and paintings from the Dutch school.
Hermitage of La Virgen de la Salud. Mudejar style.
Town Hall, 1672. Baroque style.
Town from La Alpujarra with special charm.
Viewpoint of La Vega and Square of the Town Hall.
Ancestral house of El Vicario.
Neighbourhood of La Alcazaba and El Calvario.
Fountains from the XVII century. Renaissance style. We can highlight the one of Los Cuatro Caños, San Blas and Pilar de San Antonio.
Laujar de Andarax Gastronomy
Sausages. Fritada alpujarreña. Choto al ajo cabañil. Cocina mareá. Olla de nabos. Encebollado con hígado de cerdo. Tabirnas colorás (potato stew with red peppers, onions and garlic). Gachas saladas (prepared suing flour, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, fish and oil).
Sweets: Rosco de Semana Santa. Buns of pumpkin (balls of mashed pumpkin). Soplillos de huevo y almendra. Mantecados de miel. Rosquillos de vino.
Laujar de Andarax – How to get there
You have to exit Almería towards Huércal de Almería, cross this and continue on Highway 340. Continue towards Almería – E-15 – N-340 – Nijar – Murcia. At the roundabout, take the salida 1 and continue along: A-92A towards: A-92 – Benahadux – Guadix. Continue along: A-92A, then follow the signs until Benahadux. Exit Benahadux towards Alhama de Almería, leave this one and turn left: A-348. Pass near Illar and crossing of Canjáyar. Follow the signs until Fondón. Once you have past Fondón follow the signs until Láujar de Andarax.
Distances from Laujar de Andarax
Gádor 48 km
Ohanes 21 km
Almería 62 km
Benecid 6,5 km
Canjáyar 19 km
Albolodúy 44 km
Benahadux 52 km
Alhama de Almería
Fuente Victoria 1,5 km